Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1999 polaris genesis DI wont turn off and gauge stays on all the time

hello I bought a 99 di Polaris and it wont shut off I hit the stop button and nothing also pull the lanyard and nothing then I disconnected the battery and it still runs only way to kill it is take 2 plug wires off. I just replaced the lr module with a new one I check the lanyard micro switch please let me know if you can help. I checked the e box and it is grounded to the motor. checked all the switches start/stop and lanyard kill all work with a ohm meter. Ski only has 109 hours on it. when it is running if you hit the start/stop button it ingages the starter again.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC
    +1
    Welcome to The Hulk!

EDIT: Deleted as I posted info specific to carbed models!
    Last edited by ghostinstallations; 07-09-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Click my Avatar for signature links, Polaris info
    +1
    Sounds like the EMM or the kill switch wiring to the EMM may have problems.

The lanyard kill switch works by grounding the Yellow/Black wire to the EMM. Find the Yellow/Black wire and trace it to the EMM. Make sure that when the lanyard is pulled it is actually grounding the kill wire at the EMM.

The 1999 FFI Genesis (Ficht engine) was known to have wire harness issues. You may need to pull apart some wire harness splices and inspect for corrosion or bad connections.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostinstallations View Post
    Welcome to The Hulk!

Well, if the black/yellow wire at the CDI is grounded when you hit the start stop button, the CDI has failed. If it does not, its the LR module. Cant be the switch because it allows the ski to start, and it is unlikley that you have more than one issue, so I would rule out the saftey lanyard.

Being a 99 genesis, there was a seperate LR502 start stop module. Did you replace that? Or the LR23 rectifier?
    OP says it is a DI engine, not CDI...

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostinstallations View Post
    Welcome to The Hulk!

Well, if the black/yellow wire at the CDI is grounded when you hit the start stop button, the CDI has failed. If it does not, its the LR module. Cant be the switch because it allows the ski to start, and it is unlikley that you have more than one issue, so I would rule out the saftey lanyard.

Being a 99 genesis, there was a seperate LR502 start stop module. Did you replace that? Or the LR23 rectifier?
    OP says it is a DI engine, not CDI...
    Totally missed that...thanks!

well I checked all the lanyard and kill swith they are good so if I use a ohm meter and I hold it at the emm on the yellow and black wire and touch the motor it should show that it completes a circuit right. that would show that it is grounding right. I checked the bl/yw wire right where in unplugged from the switch and I had continuity all the way back to the emm so I know that wire is connected from the front to the emm.

Another thing is it will start without the lanyard connected. once I hook the battery up gages all work and never shut off and will crank so somewhere its not cutting the power off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffy18 View Post
    Another thing is it will start without the lanyard connected. once I hook the battery up gages all work and never shut off and will crank so somewhere its not cutting the power off.
    In normal conditions the display will always show the clock, it is never 'blank'.

It internally changes to a low power sleep state after five minutes of no activity, but the clock continues to be visible.

Starting without the lanyard tells me the EMM is not seeing the kill signal, or is ignoring it.

ok I took the big 40 pin connector off the emm and I did a continuity on the bl/yw wire I touch the wire and then touch the block to see if I have continuity and I did then while I had full continuity I put the lanyard key in and if only showed 3/4 of the meter for continuity. So what does that tell me

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffy18 View Post
    ok I took the big 40 pin connector off the emm and I did a continuity on the bl/yw wire I touch the wire and then touch the block to see if I have continuity and I did then while I had full continuity I put the lanyard key in and if only showed 3/4 of the meter for continuity. So what does that tell me
    Work in ohms. Continuity readings don't tell me much, except for perfect connection and open circuit.

What ohms does the circuit have with lanyard in, and with lanyard out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information