2005 RXT Oil Issue

Fairly new to this jetski stuff, bought myself a 2005 RXT last year with 110 hours on it. Engine mods wise it has a Fizzle intercooler, Riva waterbox and a cone air filter.

Last year it would randomly go into limp mode and display a flashing OIL message on the display with the ! on as well. Re-start it and all would be well. Thought it could be low oil level which was sloshing around during cornering and starving engine. Level was OK and found out these run a dry sump so can't be that. Put it down to a dodgy sensor.

Did an oil change last week and took it out on the weekend. Did a few straight line drag races with a friends GP1300R and a Yam FX SHO, happily hitting 8k+. Then went for a cruise (cruising at 4-5k) and came back to shore around an hour later and set up a small circuit to race around. Did a lap or two and the OIL message re-appeared. This time it wouldn't go away. Tried re-starting then remove battery for an hour and still had it. No error codes relating to oil, only P1517 as it somehow thinks it has a compass installed when it doesn't.

Started checking everything I'd done incase I'd messed something up. Removed plugs, drained oil, checked hoses, removed oil filter cover. I noticed this when I looked down:

Area around the retaining bolt thread looks sheared off to me! Guessing it shouldn't look like that? I'm now thinking best course of action is to remove the engine, remove the front and rear covers and inspect the oil pumps?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9246835291_355d226c36_b.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	306081  

This is exactly what my 05 rxt did. Still working on it trying to figure out what could be wrong.

Not 100% but I think the part in your pic is normal. Check your 2 oil press sensors, OPS and OSPS. Common issue is bad sensor. I had to change mine, the one under the intake manifold-Ops, now its fine.

4. +1 by:

+1 -- replace the sensor under the intake manifold 1st-- VERY common failure...

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    that's a perfectly normal looking oil filter area.

go with the's commonly cited as the issue..actually measuring the oil pressure will give you the peace of mind you'll want.

frisco, tx
    Are those copper flakes down in the there ? Can't quite tell from the pics but if it is that would be bearing material. Which equals bad news hopefully not though.

North Jersey
    +1. filter cap threaded area is fine. that's how it is on some of the older models.

What is the sensor called? Part number? Did this fix the issue?

Thread Information