1994 Polaris sl 750 mods

Hi I just bought a 1994 Polaris sl 750 in decent condition and I am guessing it does about 45 mph (because the gps is broken. What are some basic and cheap modifications that I could do to get a higher top speed and acceleration. By the way I am a newbie and only 16 so I know very little about the engines and such in these machines. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Start here, read up.

Get the basic maintenance done, first and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Start here, read up.

K let me change my question. I had maintenance done but is there any places in around Toronto Canada that do stuff like porting and mods for you?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rileyboadway View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Start here, read up.

.K let me change my question. I had maintenance done but is there any places in around Toronto Canada that do stuff like porting and mods for you?
    Are you in or near Toronto?

Once you start modifying these things the cost tends to rise quickly. By far the most cost effective way to go faster is to buy a machine with a bigger motor and sell (or keep) the one you have now.

It is entirely possible to tune and tweak for small but potentially noticeable gains. If you are not changing the engine internally then the gains tend to be less dramatic.

Ok thanks for the reply I don't have tons of money so I'll just stick with it. I just have a couple more questions. First should I run it with 50:1 cause that's what the mechanic told me and what I have been doing or do these need more oil than boats? Secondly a need a way to check for gas because the gauge doesn't work. Finally where should I position the venturi tubes I think there called (the ones that siphon out the water when it is running) so that the water will drain when I am riding it because there is a small leak
    Thanks alot

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rileyboadway View Post
    Ok thanks for the reply I don't have tons of money so I'll just stick with it. I just have a couple more questions.

First should I run it with 50:1 cause that's what the mechanic told me and what I have been doing or do these need more oil than boats?

Secondly a need a way to check for gas because the gauge doesn't work.

Finally where should I position the venturi tubes I think there called (the ones that siphon out the water when it is running) so that the water will drain when I am riding it because there is a small leak
    Thanks alot
    Bilge siphon intakes lay down on each side of the jet pump tunnel. Position them where they can collect the most water when riding, as the hull will be angled nose up when riding.

Make sure the mesh filter screens are clean.

Also make sure the tiny breather hole in the plastic elbow half way along each hose is clear. That elbow needs to be positioned up high in the hull, to prevent water from back flowing when the engine is stopped.

Has the oil injection system been removed from your engine?

The typical fuel to oil ratio for pre-mixing on these engines is 40:1. Some good quality oils may allow for 50:1.

Perhaps the display can be fixed. There is a fuse inside the electrical box. You can replace it with a new 1/4 Amp glass fuse.

To visually check fuel level, remove the front storage bucket and eyeball the fuel tank.

Small leak? Well, fix the leak. Where is the water coming in?

Thread Information