Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smart phone GPS?!

Just got my GP1200R out for the first time in like two years and got it going again. The speedo used to say like 66mph (which I know was high) but now it only reads like 53 to 55 usually. I was certain this was wrong so I wanted to check it with a GPS, so I broke out my phone set up the GPS, stuffed it in the "glove box" and recorded my top speeds on slightly choppy water as 59.7, 60.9, and 61.0 mph. Which I assume is fairly correct. Not sure why the speedo was reading so low.

My main question here is would you guys trust the smart phone's GPS or should I go ahead and invest in a handheld or other option? Because I intend to start upgrading the GPR finally to see what I can get out of it.

(Btw, I highly recommend a LifeProof case and a LifeJacket if anyone else decides to try this! The LifeProof is supposedly water proof and the LifeJacket will float with your phone in it. Another quick side note, the LifeJacket is huge.)

+1
    Welcome, I would get a simple not to exspensive GPS, an Etrex starts at about $ 100. and are ve3ry good for checking ski speeds. Good Luck

I've used my phone numerous times and have checked with radar detectors on certain streets and actually found that my SUV speedo is actually incorrect. So as long as i had numerous satellite connections, i would trust it. I usually have 8-10 satellites connected when testing. Which my Raider gps 59.7 in fairly good water (before the most recent upgrades) and that should be right in line with what it runs. (that was stock besides F/A's and cut ride plate).. So again I think its accurate.

+1
    Save your money for burgers and beer...a smart phone GPS works great...as long as you have a good connection with the satellites like demented said. Just curious, what GPS speedo app are you using?

+1
    The big challenge you are going to have is if you need a maps app to give you directions unless you have cell signal its not going to work. As far as speed the bouncing around in a glove box will make it slightly inaccurate but not really enough to be a big deal. Unless you are one of the guys that has to know every tenth of a mile you after.
    Just buy an inexpensive GPS that floats and not worry about it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 04gtxsc View Post
    The big challenge you are going to have is if you need a maps app to give you directions unless you have cell signal its not going to work. As far as speed the bouncing around in a glove box will make it slightly inaccurate but not really enough to be a big deal. Unless you are one of the guys that has to know every tenth of a mile you after.
    Just buy an inexpensive GPS that floats and not worry about it.
    I put my phone in a small waterproof box padded with 2 bandannas and stuff a shirt around it in the glovebox to keep it from bouncing around a lot...if for anything just to protect my phone and it's never caused any satellite reception issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    Save your money for burgers and beer...a smart phone GPS works great...as long as you have a good connection with the satellites like demented said. Just curious, what GPS speedo app are you using?
    Best response ever. Haha. I used an app called simply "Speedometer" on iOS it was free and records top speed. And my phone was stuffed tightly as well. I wasn't so worried about inaccuracies from bouncing around as I was something smacking immediately into the screen. So it was packed tight so it wouldn't move.

Thanks so much for the welcome and all the responses from everyone. I'm not super worried about the exact speeds, just want decent accuracy so I think (for now anyway) I'll spend the cash on some upgrades instead.

Thanks for the welcome and all of the responses, guys!

Tried to say this earlier but it said something about being flagged for moderation. First post. Sheesh. Shrugs.

I use Android-Speedometer..And also use a waterproof box with some padding to keep it from moving to much(not that there is much space to do that with the box i have its pretty small)..But I will say with the recent upgrade to the s4 i will be purchasing an etrex to use , i don't want to chance ruining this phone!! my originally galaxy s was due for an upgrade the entire time I used it so i didn't really care if it got banged up or if i dropped it trying to check the speed i just ran. Also the app does keep stats for Max speed and ave speed along with i believe time and some other things..but i typically just used it for Max of course

+1
    Not very familiar with handheld units but there's an etrex "Summit" on ebay right now for $39.95, free shipping.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-eTrex...item3f27038220

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information