Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rollover ski-Which way to flip?

Has anybody else noticed in the owners manual about flipping the ski around in the event of a rollover. On the 2nd page(not numbered) from the front cover it shows to roll the ski to the port side,counterclockwise, It says
    rolling to the starboard side can cause water in the exhaust system to run into the engine,with possible engine damage"
    Then on page 96 it says:
    Turn the capsized boat clockwise so that the port side always faces downward. Turning counterclockwise can cause water in the exhaust system to run inti the engine,with possible engine damage

So which way is it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Color0001.JPG 
Views:	739 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	18040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Color.JPG 
Views:	480 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	18041  

Yes, We noticed that also. Kristy read this to me on the way home from the dealer. I told her that my guess would be looking at the decal on the back of the ski when it is upside down would be the proper roll over technique.

Just my opinion.... Jim

+1
    During an average day out where i ride. I have to flip my ski over 2 times to get debris out of my intake. While the ski is upside down its taking on water about 1 to 1.5" per min.

I think the key is knowing where your air intake is on your particular ski. On the gpr's and Rxp's. it's on the front lower right side. So upside down, it's now on the left. Assuming you have 5" of water now inside your ski from being upside down for 3 minutes. You want to be on the right side looking from the rear and turn clockwise. What this does is keep the air intake high and away from the water as the ski is turning. As the ski is turning, that 5" of water is now closer to 8 to 10" when the ski is verticle. Surely enough to cover the air intake until fully flipped.

So, the illustration in the manual is correct for a right side air intake,for a left side,it would be counter clockwise. If you have a model such as an fx 140 or 160 where the air intake is on top of engine, I guess it would'nt matter either way.

no disrespect dave but i think its gonna be nearly impossibele to roll a 250 ultra,i dont think i could roll one even if i was trying to.

From my understanding, it has to do with which side the exhaust pipe is on. You have to remember it is full of water and has a straight shot at the engine. Since the 250X pipe is on the left, you want to keep it below the engine when rolling it back over, hence clockwise.

Man you took the words right out my mouth. If this things roles over you have alot more to worry about then witch way to role it.

I would say on any 4 stroke that if it roles over then you should upright it , tow it back to a trailer and get it out of water. Take it to a dealer and pay to have it properly serviced. Unless you know how to ensure it did not injest water into the system

Quote Originally Posted by LEEDS View Post
    no disrespect dave but i think its gonna be nearly impossibele to roll a 250 ultra,i dont think i could roll one even if i was trying to.
    Nothing is impossible, the late Floyd Stephens turtled a SUV. It was at a surf race but still, I think it is the widest ski ever made.

I thought the rule of thumb, was to always roll the ski so that the exhaust outlet stayed above the water line. Is this correct or is it different for different models??????

Quote Originally Posted by Skips313 View Post

I would say on any 4 stroke that if it roles over then you should upright it , tow it back to a trailer and get it out of water. Take it to a dealer and pay to have it properly serviced. Unless you know how to ensure it did not injest water into the system
    Very good point. That brings another question to my mind. Does it say anywhere in the manual that towing the ski can cause damage? I know some pwc can't be towed very far or fast because while towing the pump is pressurized and the excess water can't get out of the pipe fast enough and back fills the cylinders.

As Skip said, any engine that might have taken on water should never be started or you could hydrolock your engine which=lots of $$$. If are out in the middle of the lake and it is reasonably calm, you can pull the spark plugs and see if any water shoots out whem you hit the start button.

+1
    Check out the sticker on the back of the ski, under the bond line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information