Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1996 slx??

1996 slx??

hey guys, I'm new to the whole jet ski world. although I have years of experience in marine applications. I picked up an slx polaris? i have no idea what size this is, but going off of this forum i guess they only made a 780slx? Im just looking for someone with some tips on this ski, such as what goes wrong? top speed?.. handling?.. reliability? it also has about 130 hours on it. is that alot? also the digital screen doesnt shut off when the battery is hooked up, is there a kill switch for the display anywhere so it wont kill my battery? thanks for the help guys!

+1

Thumbs up

Welcome to the Hulk! Your screen will go into a partial "sleep mode" but remain on. Not a big deal for battery drain at all. Polaris also made a SL 780 And an SLT 780.
    Tons of information in the Links below. You have a Blue Fuji motor, I have had three of them they have been super reliable for me.
    Quick little ski, turns hard, tops out above 50 mph.
    Have fun!
    The hours are probably not correct as the MFD can and will reset on its own. I have never heard of a Fuji "Wearing out" it is just about always bad fuel lines, carb issues or an air leak that will kill them. What is your compression?

oh awesome! i plan on replacing all the fuel lines and getting rid of the automatic oil mixing thing. i may pull the motor out to completely clean the inside of the hull. have you ever done that? thanks for that link btw!

Also, I havent checked compression yet. going to do that probably tomorrow.

one more thing, it has an electric fuel pump that is mounted underneath the dash board. is that stock?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jboyack View Post
    one more thing, it has an electric fuel pump that is mounted underneath the dash board. is that stock?
    Welcome to the Hulk! Where are you located?

No, electric fuel pumps are not stock. The OEM fuel pump is driven from pulses out of the crankcase and is pentagon shaped, typically mounted near the back right (looking at the back) of the ski.

+1
    Also, I havent checked compression yet. going to do that probably tomorrow.
    You should see around 130-140 psi on the SLX 780.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    No, electric fuel pumps are not stock. The OEM fuel pump is driven from pulses out of the crankcase and is pentagon shaped, typically mounted near the back right (looking at the back) of the ski.
    is it safe to have the electric fuel pump? it appears to be tied in to the fuel gauge?...

+1
    oh awesome! i plan on replacing all the fuel lines and getting rid of the automatic oil mixing thing. i may pull the motor out to completely clean the inside of the hull. have you ever done that? thanks for that link btw!
    Pulling the motor typically required you to re-align the motor with the jet pump, so may not be the best idea.. The jet pump must be removed first. You can find a TON of information on all aspects of the ski here: Http://PolarisPWCknowledge.shorturl.com

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk! Where are you located?

Im located in north east GA!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information