Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MSX 150 Engine Compartment is Hot - Too Hot. Also looking for comments on blow bye

Got the 150 into the water and same problem comes up. Engine will not re-start after longer run, open up seat and man is it hot in there. If you run the starter a long time, it will chug, clug, and fire. Other than that I have to let it cool. No lights, no indicators going off, nothing. Think my catch can with breather on top could add to engine heat and get things just a bit too hot? Going to diagnose the water pump and thermo tonight and clear them of the suspect list.

Also, I have some remnants of oil in intake. It has been cleaned once since catch can install. Guess I could have missed some stuff in intercooler, but I am now wondering if I am geting oil from motor due to blow bye. Compression in 120-122 cold both lungs.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is the exhaust water injection working properly? There is an orifice and mesh filter than sprays cooling water into the exhaust gas stream as it flows towards the water box.

If that water spray is not present then the water box and the rubber exhaust hoses will cook themselves, not to mention melting the plastic resonators. If the excess heat has cooked these pieces then you could have either or both an exhaust block due to internal delamination of the large rubber exhaust hoses, or collapse or exhaust leaks from the plastic resonators. Any exhaust leaks into the hull will cause strange engine symptoms.

In general, most parts of the engine and exhaust should be within reason for putting your hand on for a few seconds (Weber guys chime in here).

On the 2-stroke watercraft the water temperature is thermostat controlled to around 143F, which is touchable for a few seconds without burning skin. I think the Weber turbo engine runs warmer than that, but the exhaust system aft of the engine should not be super hot.

Well I blocked that hose last year, Total screw up and cooked the hoses, and resonator. Other than water box, all new parts in it now. I will perform a temp. check and check the orfice/mesh. I have a lower 160 deg. (I think) thermo in it.

maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy another water box. No way to tell if you cooked it or not.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Koodat View Post
    maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy another water box. No way to tell if you cooked it or not.
    Waterbox is made of metal, but it is possible there is some sort of blockage caught inside.

That would not cause the exhaust to overheat, at least I don't see how, off the bat ...

+1
    I've run my MSX pretty hard before and popped the seat after idling in to the beach... and it wasn't all that hot in there. I was actually surprised. This was on cooler days a few months ago and with cooler water temps up north here where I live.

Even with a lower 160deg T-stat... our engines run a tad hotter than the 2-strokes. I know I can touch my hand on the "downpipe" after the turbo and the waterbox without it being too hot... don't know about touching the exhaust manifold/turbo directly. Those will be hot... especially if you've been running some heavy boost passes. I'll have to try it.

We do have an exhaust water injection too... it's on the pipe coming off the turbo ("downpipe" in auto terms)... small hose connects there... freshwater.

Are you getting good fresh-water exit flow (above pump in tunnel)? Is your freshwater pickup port mesh screen still in place (inside end of jetpump)? If not, you could have sucked in some gunk and that could be causing a partial clog (probably intercooler) which is slowing your freshwater circuit and preventing it from removing the heat from the engine/exhaust like it should.

That 120# compression isn't too great. Lower spec is 125#... so that could be part of your hard starting while in the water issue. When my compression was shot... 95-110... I had a hard time restarting while in the water (pump under load) too.

Cheers!

I just serviced the jet pump, so intake screen is in pefect condition. I could have a clog, but probably not. I will check to see where the heat is coming from. I am hoping I cooked the exhaust water jet and I can get that corrected and be good to go. I will check my exhaust exit temp. and water exit port.

Yeah I know 120 is low, must have cylinder wall flaking.

Hi koodat,
    I've had temp light flash on only under full boost,head getting very hot,
    Compression dropping from 140 to 130 taught flaking,
    So my friend steelroe pulled engine and its the head gasket!! Walls are good!
    Cylinders are perfect,i.e.no distortion from heat.
    Gasket gone on both cylinders!! So getting skimmed.
    So check with leak down test first.
    I bet termo is or was ok.?
    Also of course check water pump.but with drop in compression you might be lucky and it's the head gasket
    And not flaking!!!

Cheers

Well I wish I could do this, but now the ski has decided to throw me another monkey wrench. Started it, ran it maybe 2,000 feet. Gurgled, died, and would not re-start. Is there a fuel filter. I think now I have fuel problems. Nothing on MFD is flashing.

There is an inline fuel filter from between the tank and the fuel rail. Also you can check (somehow?) the PSI of the fuel coming into the rail to determine if your fuel pump is working properly. Could also be injectors, but I have not seen those fail that often? (At least not on this forum).

I hope you get it worked out. Would hate to see another one of these skis go the way of the Dodo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information