Hull repair. Got some marine tex. Want to make sure im doing this right.

My 93 sl 650 has a pretty beat up hull. I bought the big box of marine-tex and I was wondering if i should just clean it up and spread it on or exactly how to go about it?

I've done research only to find repairs for holes or gashes not ones such as this. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-08_18-37-11_458.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	306198
    Last edited by K447; 07-10-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have you seen the hull painting thread? It covers a lot of the basics, including preparation.

Note that different kinds of hull material require different kinds of bonding agents and preparation. SMC hull material is different from fiberglass. Know what material your hull is and what the appropriate process is before you begin.

Yes I am pretty sure I did see that and read through it. I will go through it again just to be sure though :P. I have done research on the type of hull I have and everything I have found points to all SMC. I just got the marine-tex to fill in anything to make it smooth again. I was planning on painting it as well just want to have it all fixed up properly first. thanks for the reply!

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    That looks like a glass hull from the pictures. If you see the fibreglass strands there, then mairne tex is not what i would use.

What the hell did they do to that poor thing, drag it around behind a car redneck style? I would rough grind where the patching is going so it has a better surface to GRAB to.

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    That looks like a glass hull from the pictures. If you see the fibreglass strands there, then mairne tex is not what i would use.

What the hell did they do to that poor thing, drag it around behind a car redneck style? I would rough grind where the patching is going so it has a better surface to GRAB to.
    I can take closer better pictures if that helps? Ive owned this ski since 05, I lived on a houseboat at the time and had a little ramp on the front deck (I had rollers and carpet) which it was stored on. Ive never seen the bottom of the hull until now never had it on a trailer lol. Im not sure exactly what was done to it but it wasnt me! Now for the top side I cant say that wasn't my fault...... I have it down to a bare hull now and am starting from scratch going through the entire thing.

I hope I didn't spend $45 for nothing!

+1
    Only the 94 and 95 SLT750 and the 96 SLT700 were NOT SMC. All others were SMC (including the 96 SLT780, oddly enough), according to the Polaris manual..,,,

Hmmm thats odd same year, different model, and different hull... lol. So marine-tex would be ok for this then?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    How to prepare surfaces for bonding:

-Remove all rust, scale, paint and loose materials from the surface.

-Clean all surfaces so that any dirt, grease, oil, wax, etc is completely removed. (Lacquer thinner or acetone are excellent cleaners for many surfaces.)

-Sand a profile into the surface with 80-100 grit sandpaper to abrade the surface and provide a 'texture' for a mechanical seal.

-Wipe with solvent once more to be sure sanding dust hasn't contaminated the repair.

-Please DO NOT use soap! Soaps and regular detergents leave behind a residue that can cause a problem with adhesion.

http://www.marinetex.com/Marine-Tex_...chor-How-21683

Ty guys, if it weren't for this forum I would of never attempted this.

Thread Information