Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help With GP1200 Ride Plate Removal

I Wanted to see if anyone could offer any suggestion with removing the ride plate on an 02 gp. I have removed 3 of the four bolts. The fourth just seems to be spinning in the housing that's attached inside the hull. I'm ultimately trying to remove the impeller housing to sand down my ware ring.

+1
    The brass nutsert in the hull has de-bonded from the adhesive and is spinning inside the adhesive. Carefully chip away adhesive glob, use vice-grips to hold nutsert from inside hull, add a small bit of heat with a butane torch to the ride plate side, then remove bolt. Check out Island Racing's nutsert plates that replace those factory garbled pieces of shit nutserts from Yammy.

Why not just replace the wear ring?

+1
    Remove the battery box and see what bolt is spinning. Have someone clamp the spinning bolt inside the ski and then try to get it out on the outside. This is what I had to do with my 01'. You'll also have to remove the foam block in the left corner. Sort of a PITA but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    The brass nutsert in the hull has de-bonded from the adhesive and is spinning inside the adhesive. Carefully chip away adhesive glob, use vice-grips to hold nutsert from inside hull, add a small bit of heat with a butane torch to the ride plate side, then remove bolt. Check out Island Racing's nutsert plates that replace those factory garbled pieces of shit nutserts from Yammy.

Why not just replace the wear ring?

Thanks for the help!!! Is there an easier way to get at the wear ring? After looking at the manual and the cajundude's site I was under the impression the ride plate needed to come off to get at the wear ring housing?

+1
    Not really if you remove the pump and nozzle you can get to the impeller housing easily.. Problem is you need to take the ride plate to jab something between the tabs to separate the pump.

Thanks again! I'll let you know how I make out.

+1
    No problem, I just did a whole wear ring housing, pump and nozzle replacement on my GP1200R

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCharged67 View Post
    No problem, I just did a whole wear ring housing, pump and nozzle replacement on my GP1200R
    Trying to remove the ride plate has been a PITA (you were right). I'll get it eventually... Did you replace your wear ring or just sand it down?

OK, got the ride plate off and the jet pump housing off. The impeller should be spin freely inside the wear ring housing...right (which it's not)?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2278.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	306649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2277.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	306650

+1
    Seized bearing(s). Get shaft holding tool, mount in vice, unthread the prop in a clockwise rotation (reverse from normal threads), replace bearings and seals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information