+1

'03 12F Pump Rebuild question...

Hello all, I hope the summer is rockin for everyone here...

So my 2003 12F finally had some pump bearing failures, I figured it was coming soon,lol. It really did a number on the impeller and the "wear ring" . I can easily rebuild the pump of course and inexpensively however the housing is 10 years old and probably due for a wear ring replacement. My question is, is that able to be pressed out and a new one put in? I have access to a machine shop and its tools, so popping it out shouldn't be a problem. I however can't find anyone that sells just the wear ring. Any suggestions? I'd like to save myself a few hundred bucks over that SBT rebuilt pump.

Also, it appears the PTO bearing is ok however being 10 years old it's probably wise to replace that and it's seals. I see the manual calls for engine removal, can I somehow just unbolt the engine mounts and slide it forward enough to get in there? Thanks for the help..

+1
    Not sure there is a wear ring that is replaceable. Have you looked at it? How many hours are on the ski and which bearings failed?

+1
    The wearing is replaceable, the trouble its seems is you can't get one seperately. The way I understand it is a place like SBT grinds or presses out the old one, but then machine some more material out of the pump to install a thicker ring, I priced out rebuilt pumps, not much less than buying a new one. I had the driveshaft bearing replaced on my 15F (same hull) & the engine had to be removed to be done. I have been told though if you have small arms, you can unbolt the engine & lift it up till it hits the hull & can wiggle out the driveshaft under it. It cost over $1000 to have this bearing replaced because of labor, may be worth a try to do it yourself, I didn't have that option.

Impros can reline the pump if you send it to them. He quoted me about $240 for a reline. I was going to do this to mine, but I also had some vein damage, so it was cheaper to buy a new pump instead of having him fix both. So I ended up upgrading to the 2013 spec pump on my 2005.

+1
    Thanks guys for the replies. Yeah I ran into the same issue finding a ring to put in. Even if I had a metal shop make one it would probably cost the same as just getting a pump from SBT.

I have had the engine out before when I replaced the head, wasn't the worst thing but still a pain. I used a swing set with a winch line from my ATV going over it, worked well. Stupid me should have done it then.

Anyway, the bearing that was made into a stew was the front bearing(first bearing inside the pump coming from the impeller).

Thread Information