Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I want a new ski, tell me what to buy please

I had an 2004 GTX which I loved, good power and good handling, then last year I had a Yamaha VX which I also loved because it was a little more kid friendly and more fuel efficient and even with 535hr. it cranked it out hour after hour, (burned a little oil). BUT, that left me a little underwhelmed. My kids will ride it way more than me, but when I do ride it, I want it to haul ass.

So can I get some recommendations? I have no brand prefer between sea doo or yamaha, I'd even consider the kawasaki if you guys told me it was a good ski.

Thanks, and I am a little under the gun, need to get it in the next couple days.

rxpx bad ass

+1
    or the rxtx 260 is bad ass too but the rxpx 260 is the best cornering ski I have been on not great for rough water,turns on one half of a dime

+1
    You didn't give us enough information to really recommend skis to look into.

+1
    How young are the kids??

When you start talking about top of the food chain supercharged skis they all rip. Sea doo RXT-X and RXP-X are great skis. Yamaha FZR/S are great also. Most newer skis are pretty reliable for everyday buzzing around a lake or river. Sea doo has some nice features like the brake/reverse system. Works quite slick.

Beware that supercharged skis will suck the gas when pushed. So if kids are on them every weekend you'll start to feel it in the pocket book.

A Yamaha VXR/S might be a good pick if your on a inland lake or river. It's non-supercharged and goes about 67-68MPH out of the box. So very good gas mileage and quick. Cost less initially and less to maintain through ownership. Doesn't have much for options, not even trim. But will save you long term and give you a lot of excitement on the water.

@skylo, yeah that is a good recommendation. I should have quantified what I meant by hauling ass, I thought the 2004 GTX with 185hp and closing on 65mph was pretty quick, but I could handle a bit more. I saw a used 06 RXT with only 20 hours and that has 215, guessing that would be enough. As for new, the Yammy VXS sounds like a good fit. The kids are 14-18. The older girls are the ones who will push it. I think anything over 70 is probably more than I should put them on, but if there is a granny fob, I would consider a faster ski. I like the idea of no supercharger but I love the thrust. I like the low end grunt the most. I like to go flat out a bit, but low end, acceleration and turning hard would appeal to me more than all out speed. Probably making it worse huh? ; )

+1
    T3 hull on the new RXP-X is a turning machine. It will make super tight turns at speeds you won't dare try on most other skis. Is only a 2 seater so depending on your laws you may not "legally" be able to tow with it if that is a concern. Will also set you back used a good 11K-12K and new about 14-16K with a trailer. But it will turn like no other and pull out of turns like no other stock ski. Easily the most exciting hull that has came out in years.

Pretty much any of the newer skis with at least 185HP will hit mid 60's. The US Coast Guard has an agreement with the industry to keep top speeds around 66-68ish. So its all about how the hull handles and how fast you get to the top end. Most of your supercharged performance oriented skis created in the last 5 years will hit 0-30 in that 1.7-2.0 range give or take a tenth or two. VXS is right around 2.0 seconds.

If your looking used a nice 2010 RXT-X or 2009+ FZS would be where I'd start at for supercharged skis. Non super charged the only ski I'd consider would be the VXS.

+1
    Non supercharged skis are great performers and don't eat as much out of your wallet in fuel.
    The Gti 155hp / gtx 155hp both are rock solid skis and are good for 1000+hrs.
    The rentals here in Florida get sold at 1500+hrs.
    They can pull anything and don't drink the fuel of a s/c ski.
    Vxs and vxr are also good for the same things.
    Just a matter of what you prefer.

+1
    If you're looking for simplicity and reliability the GTI 155 skis are good performers for the money.

If you want something a little quicker without going all out like a RXTX or RXPX 260 I think the Seadoo GTR 215 is the sleeper ski in the BRP lineup, three seater, 215HP, handles great and all this without breaking the bank. Everyone on Greenhulk that has one has nothing bad to say about them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SD1 View Post
    I had an 2004 GTX which I loved, good power and good handling, then last year I had a Yamaha VX which I also loved because it was a little more kid friendly and more fuel efficient and even with 535hr. it cranked it out hour after hour, (burned a little oil). BUT, that left me a little underwhelmed. My kids will ride it way more than me, but when I do ride it, I want it to haul ass.

So can I get some recommendations? I have no brand prefer between sea doo or yamaha, I'd even consider the kawasaki if you guys told me it was a good ski.

Thanks, and I am a little under the gun, need to get it in the next couple days.
    Also how much are you willing to spend??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information