Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New STX-12F Display design? How to water proof?

So I got my new display today to replace the one that apparently got wet too many times and had died. I've read many times that you should seal a new one at the rear grommet to help it survive longer. The pictures I've seen of other new displays have a different grommet assessment than what I'm seeing here. This is a new part number, 25031-3753, that replaced the old one. Maybe they've improved that portion or else I don't remember what I've seen before. Any thoughts?

+1
    Take the metal ring off, put 3M 5200 all around the rubber where it goes into the hole (you can pull the grommet out). Put 5200 on the wires where they go into the grommet. The idea isn't to make it pretty, it's to seal out all possible points of entry for water. Put the metal retainer back on. Use Fast Cure sealant.

Thanks Steve, that's going to be one ugly mess but, like you say, I'm not trying to make it pretty. You would think that Kawasaki would have learned how to make that pass-through water tight by now. But then, at $750 a pop, why should they? I appreciate the direction.

Ken

Trucky...

what did you do with your old display? I've been trying to find a way to repair them and would love another core.

+1
    They seem to be fairly water-tight when new, but when they get to be 10 years old the rubber dries out and is no longer flexible. It probably shrinks as well.

Thanks guys. I gooped it up pretty good with some 4200, put it back together and am working on the swap today. Somebody has been in there before, probably too dry out the original before they sold it to me. Live and learn.

My team of crack mechanics almost have it buttoned up now, I'm doing the armchair supervision due to a bad back. The old display clearly had someone who had done a very bad job of sealing it up. I initially got about 3 teaspoons of water out and it was still dripping. The New one looks great and everything functions as it should so far. Just a note... it does reset the hours to zero. There was some discussions as to whether the ecu held the hours or not. Apparently this model keeps the hours in the display only. Thanks to Jav and the others for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by trucky View Post
    My team of crack mechanics almost have it buttoned up now, I'm doing the armchair supervision due to a bad back. The old display clearly had someone who had done a very bad job of sealing it up. I initially got about 3 teaspoons of water out and it was still dripping. The New one looks great and everything functions as it should so far. Just a note... it does reset the hours to zero. There was some discussions as to whether the ecu held the hours or not. Apparently this model keeps the hours in the display only. Thanks to Jav and the others for all the help!

Hi trucky.
    My MDF has also stopped working. Local auto sparky has confirmed it's the screen. It died on me earlier in the year and I managed to dry it out and seal it up, but alas it's died again and although attempted to dry out it won't work. Where did you source your screen from? Any luck on reviving them?

Quote Originally Posted by jonno_au View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by trucky View Post

Hi trucky.
    My MDF has also stopped working. Local auto sparky has confirmed it's the screen. It died on me earlier in the year and I managed to dry it out and seal it up, but alas it's died again and although attempted to dry out it won't work. Where did you source your screen from? Any luck on reviving them?
    jonno,

I'll look at my file and see where I got my replacement display. If I remember right I paid right about $750 for it. As far as reviving... that's for someone with way more patience than me. JAV in the thread above was making a project of trying to bring back to life some previously dead displays. I don't know how far he got on that.

Good luck on yours, they're hard to find little buggers, but it's made my ski seem like new again to have that replaced.

Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information