Question 65U Engine wouldn't start warm unless heavily primed

I took my 2000 SUV out today and had a odd starting problem.

Background: I last ran it on the same tank of gas two weeks ago, ski has been running great with no problems. I am running premix on a 40-1 ratio. I started today with a half tank of gas. I store my ski in my conditioned garage, and live about 5 miles from the lake. I unscrewed the water separator and it was empty. Other than premix, my ski has no mods.

I started today with the typical prime about 5 pumps until I see gas going through the fuel lines. Ran the ski for about 30 minutes and then stopped to swim. Started the ski without priming, by giving about 1/4 throttle and ran the ski for about another 30 minutes and stopped for lunch. Started the ski again with about 1/4 throttle and then ran it about another 30 minutes. Stopped to swim again. This time when I tried to start the ski with the usual 1/4 throttle it wouldn't start. Engine was acting like it wasn't getting gas. I took the seat off and primed the engine 4-5 times until gas was going through the lines and it turned over, but then immediately stopped. I did this another 2 times with the same result. I finally put the seat back on and primed it another 4 times. This time when the engine tried to cut out I primed it another 3 times and keep the throttle between 1/4-1/2. It ran fine the rest of the time. It took about 30 minutes to get back to the boat ramp, and it ran fine at full speed and idling. I did not shut it off and try to restart a final time.

One final thing, when the engine wouldn't stay running I checked my fuel shut off switch to make sure it was on. It was in the on position, but it wouldn't budge when I tried to move it to reserve or off. I tried twisting it hard enough that I thought I might break it so I stopped. When I got the ski back to the ramp the shut off valve worked like it always had before. I was able to shut the fuel off with one hand and very little effort.

Any thoughts on what might be going on?

Madison, WI, USA
    Thats a tough one. Sounds like the engine wasn't getting fuel and maybe the same reason why you couldn't turn the fuel valve. maybe it was clogged? Doesn't really make sense, though.

Mechanicsburg, PA
    If my memory serves me correctly it sounds like you are not venting. If this ever happens again, slowly take your fuel cap off and see if it hisses at you. Sounds like it is either making extreme pressure or vacuum.

I think you nailed it Roadking. Your post reminded me of something else. When I pulled the priming plunger back it was more difficult than normal and when I went to push it back down the suction pulled it down for me 3/4 of the way.

If it happens again I will check the gas cap and see if that solves issue.

Thanks for your help!

Thread Information