GPR Pump tunnel reinforcement.

I did some searching around on this topic (tunnel reinforcement) and it turns out its due to Yamaha trying to lighten the hull but at the expense of weakening it. However, I've read that it's from 2003 forward is where the problem lies. (But I only read that once so far.) I ride a 2001 GP1200R, so is it true that the problem lies only in 2003+ or is it something I should invest in for my '01? Sorry for the noob post. Just trying to be cautious.
    Thanks in advance for any help/advice!!!

+1
    Its more common on the 03-08 hulls to crack but I have seen a few 00-02 hulls crack too

Gotcha. Then if that's the case, it sounds like something I'll probably invest in, if and when I get my ski into higher speeds. I don't do any jumping, lake water is all. But I would assume bouncing/skimming off the water at higher speeds would probably be way more stressful on the hull. Better safe than sorry I guess. Thanks man.

+1
    I did it on my 2007 last week.Cost 25 bucks for resin and cloth.The pita was getting the aluminum watertank out.After reading alot about this I think it is better safe then sorry.

+1
    As a side benefit for the 2000-2002 models you get to upgrade the grate mounts at the same time. Great piece of mind.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    As a side benefit for the 2000-2002 models you get to upgrade the grate mounts at the same time. Great piece of mind.
    This is truth...makes no difference what year you have, you need tunnel re-inforcement and get the mounting brackets. I would get the CoCo kit myself, because if you do not get enough fiberglass material in the whole tunnel area especially where the mounting brackets are it will still crack. It needs to be re-enforced over the entirety of the tunnel. Look at the pictures from past threads..I think I have one in the sticky and do it right the first time and the only time. Time is not kind to the fragile fiberglass (SMC) and any precaution or prevention you can do...do it.

Thread Information