Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2006 Challenger 180 won't start - ignition coil failure?

I have fuel on the spark plugs and engine is turning over great (new battery).

Some background:
    We started having issues approx. 18 months ago – engine would run very rough at high RPM but fine at near idle speeds. I thought there was a water issue in the tank from old fuel, so dumped water remover and SeaFoam in tank and it usually cleared it up (worked 3-4 times), but the issue kept recurring even after using stabilgas and non-ethanol fuel. Issue went away but then starting issue started late last year. Changed spark plugs and it was fine for a while (no rough idle or need for seafoam/water remover any more), then thought it may be a weak battery issue so I put a new battery in (starter was disengaging after 1 or 2 cylinders would start firing). This did not fix the issue (even though battery needed replaced anyway) so I had to change spark plugs again and it fired right up. Now changing spark plugs doesn’t work and the boat left us sit (did not restart after sitting ~1hr) after running great for 2-3 hours.

My diagnostics:
    12.6V at the plug for the ignition coil
    Continuity and low resistance between ECM and ignition coil plug
    Ignition coil resistance:
    secondary winding (through coil) tests at ~10 kohms (spec is 9.5-13.5)
    primary winding (the coil plug connectors) tests at ~1.8-2 ohms (spec is .85-1.15)
    If this increased resistance is enough to keep from starting, it would probably explain the problems I've been having over 18 months. Is 2 ohms enough to keep from starting?

Even if this starts the engine, cost to replace all 3 is $300+, so I'm hesitant to change all three ignition coils out without knowing what caused the problem.

Any thoughts on what else I can check or what may be causing the ignition coils to go bad? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk..

I would drain the fuel check the filters on the pick-up and refill with fresh fuel and never add any additives to your fuel ever again.

Just trying to learn ... what is your concern for additives?

+1
    Ive never been a fan of snake oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by huntster View Post
    Just trying to learn ... what is your concern for additives?

ha. Are you thinking water is in the fuel still and causing the no-start condition? Do you recommend replacing the ignition coils either way?

+1
    Im thinking your filters are clogged with spooge from all the additives. You can test for spark with the Candoo Pro system or at the Dealer with buds.

When I changed out the spark plugs they all had gas on them, so I think it's safe to assume they are getting fuel, right?

An update (been a busy past few days:
    I changed the fuel filter and drained some of the gas, but still no start, so I tested for compression - low in the back and middle cylinders. I used some marvel mystery oil and unstuck the rings and have about 140-150 now. Also figured out that I had salt water residue on the spark plugs. And a friend pointed out to me that the supercharger bearing was squealing, so I rebuilt the supercharger.
    So apparently my fuel was fine but I'm getting saltwater into the intake or engine somehow. Any ideas where it could be coming in?
    Last edited by huntster; 07-21-2013 at 11:07 AM.

+1
    Intercooler is leaking or the exhaust manifold is leaking water in. I have had both of these happen to me. If your getting spark at the plugs try and get it running on just one cylinder take the other two plugs out. If there is water getting in its easier to work on just the one to get it started. Do not hook the water hose up to it.

Joe, I appreciate your post. I have it started and running fine (after unsticking the rings), but still getting saltwater on the plugs. How do you recommend testing for where the leak is? It would have to be on the intake side, right? (where does the intercooler sit relative to the engine?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information