+1

2001 Polaris Virage 700cc - Carb/Pump issue

This place rocks for good information. Since I know diddly about ski engines, I have (what I believe to be) a fuel problem.

The ski ran great for the past few weeks and then my daughter and wife rode it yesterday. My daughter doesn't like going over 20 mph and idled the ski for the majority of the time around the lake.

When it became my turn, the ski would not go faster then idle speeds. I brought it in and replaced the plugs and added Sea Foam to the gas. When I ran it on the trailer it seemed to come back to life. I took it out again this morning and I was back to idle speeds. When you give it throttle, it chokes out and dies.

I got it back on the trailer and have found that if I pour a small amount of gas down the carb, it springs back to life for the few seconds until the fuel runs out. I pulled off the sediment bowl and cleaned it and noticed that it took forever to refill the bowl.

I am clueless at this point. Is this a carb problem or a fuel pump problem. If its the fuel pump, where is it located?

Brad

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Fuel pump is attached to, and essentially part of, the carburetor.

When was the fuel system last serviced? Carburetor rebuilt?

+1
    I really can not say. I got the ski in April this year off of ebay for $390. It ran great at first.... not so much now.

I guess what you are saying is that a carb rebuild is in my future?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Policeman View Post
    I really can not say. I got the ski in April this year off of ebay for $390. It ran great at first.... not so much now.

I guess what you are saying is that a carb rebuild is in my future?
    More like in your very near future.

See my signature links for the common maintenance items on the red domestic engine.

Typical first steps include replacing all the fuel hoses with new, new fuel selector valve, new fuel filter. Carburetor(s) removed, disassembled, cleaned internally, rebuilt using new OEM parts, reset to factory settings.

If fuel tank is not clean inside or has dirt/debris/gunk/water in the bottom, then it needs to be drained and cleaned.

Put new spark plugs of the correct NGK part number in the engine. While you are there, check the spark plug boots for correct ohms and no damage.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    More like in your very near future.

See my signature links for the common maintenance items on the red domestic engine.

Typical first steps include replacing all the fuel hoses with new, new fuel selector valve, new fuel filter. Carburetor(s) removed, disassembled, cleaned internally, rebuilt using new OEM parts, reset to factory settings.

If fuel tank is not clean inside or has dirt/debris/gunk/water in the bottom, then it needs to be drained and cleaned.

Put new spark plugs of the correct NGK part number in the engine. While you are there, check the spark plug boots for correct ohms and no damage.
    Purchased a new carb kit, fuel line, fuel shut off, fuel filters and Weldwood (red can) for the ski. I had already drained the fuel tank but will give the oil tank a little more attention before I go much further.

Greatly appreciate you guy's chiming in and giving direction on how to handle these issues.

+1
    Did a carb rebuild using this link as a guide. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ferrerid=33849
    Found the filter inside the carb was covered in a black gooey junk which I suspect was the primary problem. I completed the install of the new fuel lines and petcock which seemed to do the trick. Ski starts cold without using the choke now. I will give it a test run tomorrow to make sure that everything is just so.

I only wished I had followed the guide that K447 wrote. Would have saved me a lot of aggravation and time in the long run.

Anyone know where I can get bumper plugs for the ski? Missing a few around the sides.

Will an old fuel selector valve give you problems?I guess i will order one.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    or bypass it temporarily

Thread Information