Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

question about a 00 gp1200r please help!

Hi guys and gals, Im new to ski world and was hoping someone could help me with a question.
    So my gp1200r lost power in the middle of a ride and the mechanic i talked to said he was pretty sure the cat went bad. I test compression, spark and gas is all good, but the thing wont start now. When it happened i changed the plugs and tried it again, but it was running like crap, slow to get on plain and then maxed at 30 mph at 5000 rpm. After I got it trailered and home I pulled the plugs to check compression and the 1st cylinder closest to the front, the plug had not fired at all. Like I said I have spark, gas and good compression 112- 114 each. Could the cat failing plug the exhaust and make it not fire?
    I'm going to do the Dplate anyway,but was hoping to figure this out!
    One last question. I've been reading about the waveeater clips and I'm not sure if it has them or not, are they easy to do yourself or should a mechanic do this?

Thanks so much for any help!
    Darrin

+1
    Get the d-plate and don't look back..if you're still having problems we can address them after you install the d-plate. Good luck and you'll have help in your future mods on the GH!

Call WFO from the board (713-725-8596) and he can hook you up on d-plates, waveeaters etc..

Welcome to the Greenhulk!

+1
    It's most likely the carbs and its gonna suck when you go through the trouble of taking the exhaust off to put the d plate in just to find out youll have to take it back off again to pull the carbs off.
    As far as the wave eaters go. As far as i'm concerned, they are a bandaid. the plastic connectors break because the valves are all sludged up. They are also not going to prevent the valves from falling into the cylinder. The right thing to do would be to pull out all the valves, clean them and install new updated levers that will prevent the little pin at the top of the valve from falling out. You want a ski you wont have to worry about for a while.....

Rebuild carbs
    clean out fuel tank
    replace fuel valve and filter
    remove cat and install d plate and sensor chip
    clean exhaust valves
    update levers
    wave eaters.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    It's most likely the carbs and its gonna suck when you go through the trouble of taking the exhaust off to put the d plate in just to find out youll have to take it back off again to pull the carbs off.
    As far as the wave eaters go. As far as i'm concerned, they are a bandaid. the plastic connectors break because the valves are all sludged up. They are also not going to prevent the valves from falling into the cylinder. The right thing to do would be to pull out all the valves, clean them and install new updated levers that will prevent the little pin at the top of the valve from falling out. You want a ski you wont have to worry about for a while.....

Rebuild carbs
    clean out fuel tank
    replace fuel valve and filter
    remove cat and install d plate and sensor chip
    clean exhaust valves
    update levers
    wave eaters.
    Actually it sounds exactly what happens to a ski when a catcon begins to collapse in the pipe. I think his mechanic was correct. You want him to spend $$ on a carb rebuild not knowing if that is the problem? Replace the catcon with a d-plate THEN go from there. And the rest of your recommendation, good gracious..the fuel valve replaced? Why? Clean out the fuel tank? Why? Is the filter full of debris and foreign material? Don't get this new guy all torn up over a catcon going bad.

To the original poster...do one thing at a time and you will find your culprit. Start with the d-plate and how many hours do you have on the ski?

Thanks guys for you input! The thing has just over 120 hrs and the fuel is clean. It ran and started great then out of the blue it lost power. My mechanic said he would be able to tell if the catcon collapsed or not and said we should go to the carbs next, but because it was running good he really thinks the D plate will be the answer. I will find out next week. I was just really stumped that it would keep one cylinder from firing. Plenty of gas and spark!
    So don't bother with the clips just have them updated? I want a reliable machine but is it really a must do?

+1
    You need to go through the carbs wile you got the pipe off. The check valves in the carbs can go bad and cause no fuel to that carb. A catcon. Will not cause one cylinder to stop working besides you need to free up the oil injection lines to prevent them from pulling off since they have shrunk and about to pull off anyway. Do your self a favor and do the needed maintainence on your ski. Also you can install the wave eater clips yourself and they are a must. Use your factory plastic couplers.

+1
    GGG. That's the best advise I have seen anyone give on this board all year long. It's good to see people posting that know what there talking about and not trying to sell other people's service.

+1
    I agree with not wanting to overwhelm a newcomer to the forum...but I'm also in the camp of advise to go through an older ski and update the maintenance items.

Remember the old Fram filter commercial "pay me now" or "pay me more later". That's the way I look at rebuilding and updating the carbs...you can do it now or you can do it after it leans out a cylinder and cooks the piston. We see that story time after time after time.
    Same idea for installing the wave-eater clips and installing the d-plate.
    Same for the fuel system...cleaning everything out and replacing fuel lines after the ethanol mix in today's gas eats them up on the inside or gunks them up.

Pay me now or pay me more later = do it now or do much more later...or...pay for doing and updating maintenance items now, or pay for all that plus the repairs on an engine that has leaned out or worse, possibly much worse.

Hey guys,
    Again thanks for all this advise. I will have the carbs and oil lines done. I still wonder why that cylinder never fired after the new plugs? Like I said it has plenty of gas, maybe to much? When I pulled the plugs at the lake and replaced them that plug was fouled I thought because of how wet it was. When I got home and pulled them all, they were all soaked with gas, but the one was still chrome and never fired, but the others were a nice tan/brown color. Is it possible that the 1st carb can dump to much gas that caused it to foul in the middle of a ride? It really did deal like it was running in 2 cylinders and smelled fluided. Maybe a chock closed or something on that carb? I'm just trying to understand what might cause this, so I'm a little more educated when it comes to the service! I have no problem having all the needed things done to it. I rebuild old cars, but I'm clueless about two strokes! Accept maybe my lawn mower lol!
    Again thank you all for responding, what a cool forum this is!
    Darrin

I did want to add that the fuel filter is clear and there's not a speck of anything that would make me think it dirty or plugged up! It smelled way strong of gas and I'm sure the exhaust is full.
    All I know is I want to get it going again! It's probably the Funnest ski I've ever ridden!
    The lawn mower was a joke! It's my weed eater! Lol
    Thanks
    Darrin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information