Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My very first starter solenoid replacement

I got the dreaded "tick tick tick tick" when I hit the start button last week, and since I have two identical 'Doos (2006 RXP), I figured I'd upgrade them both to the newer (fully sealed) starter solenoid at the same time. I used the 295500900 kit from the dealer ($39) and had the job done in less than 30 minutes, and the kids didn't complain that I had the boats "down" for very long on a hot sunny day.

Here's my blog post about the procedure:

http://stevejenkins.com/blog/2013/07...-the-solenoid/

And here are some photos from the project:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solenoid_kit.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	306374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solenoid1.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	306375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solenoid2.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	306376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solenoid3.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	306377Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solenoid4.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	306378

The only frustration was that I drove to the dealer early in the morning and they told me they didn't have the part, because I gave them the actual part number of the new starter solenoid. They called me back a couple hours later and apologized, because they had the part number in the system for the entire upgrade kit (which is the same price as a standalone starter solenoid). So I drive back in and bought two of them.

These are used on so many models over such a long period of time, that I was shocked when they originally told me they had none in stock. Turns out they did.

The other big thing to keep in mind during this procedure is that dielectric grease is your friend.

Hope the photos and step-by-step howto can help some people out!

I've got a 5 photo-per-post limit, so here's the shot of the completed project.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solenoid5.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	306379

+1
    278002347 is the only solenoid we sell....What is this KIT you speak of????

Never mind, I looked at your pic and they sold you the OLD 2 stroke starter solenoid...Hope is lasts in a 4 tec....

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    278002347 is the only solenoid we sell....What is this KIT you speak of????

Never mind, I looked at your pic and they sold you the OLD 2 stroke starter solenoid...Hope is lasts in a 4 tec....
    REALLY? Ah, then I'm going to take them back to the dealer and see if they'll give me the right one. They knew this was for a couple of 4-tecs.

I paid for them with my Amex, so if they refuse to take it back, I'm confident Amex will go to bat for me.

+1
    The solenoid it slef maybe the same, let me check on that but the KIT they sold you was for OLD SCHOOL 2 strokes, that is why there was wiring and terminals and stuff in the kit..The early model 2 strokes (90-93) had a different solenoid that had 4 terminals on it. The eliminated the terminals and gave you all the wiring in the kit....

Give me till tomorrow to see what solenoid is in that kit before you take it all apart...

Tiny: How "old" is "old?" The date on the kit was 7/20/12. There was an instruction packet in the kit, which included a list of part numbers, but I tossed the paper when I was done with the install.

Anyone have access to that instruction booklet to see the part number of the solenoid included in the kit?

+1
    They still make the kit for the old school 2 strokes, we have some of the kits in stock..But if the solenoid goes out on a 4 stroke, then they should have sold you the 278002347. I will open one of those kits tomorrow at the shop and let you know...

The plot thickens...

The product description for that part number (295500900) on Amazon says:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KMUU5W

"SeaDoo OEM Solenoid update Kit. This kit replaces the old style type 278000077 that used the two small wire with end terminals on the small leads used from 1998-2003. Includes part number 278001802 relay. Can also be used for all SeaDoo's including 4Tec. This kit has an extra wire harness that will not be needed if your current relay plugs in as shown in picture."

However, the solenoid shown in the picture is a brown one with the metal base, as opposed to the black fully molded one, and there's no knowing how old that Amazon description is, or whether BRP started putting newer solenoids in that "kit." I really wish I hadn't thrown that instruction sheet away, and I can't find a PDF anywhere for download.

When I image search online for 278001802, the results all come back with the brown. And when I search for 278002347, the results all come back with the black one.

Mine is the black fully molded one, so I'm wondering if the version of the upgrade kit (dated July 20, 2012) actually contains 278002347?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    They still make the kit for the old school 2 strokes, we have some of the kits in stock..But if the solenoid goes out on a 4 stroke, then they should have sold you the 278002347. I will open one of those kits tomorrow at the shop and let you know...
    Awesome, thx.

+1
    Looks like the 4tec solenoid to me, but I'm no expert. Even down to the cheesy plastic mounting bracket (which breaks if you try to pull the motor with the starter cable still connected.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information