Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

4-tec Modding for N00bs?

I've been a lurker on GreenHulk for a while, and only recently decided to register and jump in.

Obviously, there's an overwhelming amount of modding info on this site. My goal is to leave one of my 2006 RXPs bone stock (for the kids and wife to ride) and make the other one "Daddy's Boat" with a focus on increased top speeds and increased wake jumping fun factor (my favorite thing to do on my 'Doo).

Is there a "modding for n00bs" thread anywhere that breaks down what are the realistic things to look at first? I realize that speed=$$$, and so one needs to decide how "fast" one wants to go. I've researched all the Riva "stages," but I'm not sure if those are the right suggestions for the highest bang for the buck. I don't mind spending money on my ski, I just don't want to be spending money on the "wrong" stuff.

The obvious "simple" mods (or what seem to be obvious) after lurking for so long appear to be:
    • More efficient airflow IN (intake/filter)
    • More efficient airflow OUT (exhaust)
    • More efficient water flow IN (intake grate)
    • More efficient water flow OUT (impeller/prop)
    • More responsive handling (sponsons/removal of O.P.A.S -- although I realize there is some disagreement about whether or not O.P.A.S. removal is really necessary)

Then it seems the next "jump" in performance comes with the following:
    • More efficient intercooler
    • More efficient/powerful supercharger
    • More efficient fuel delivery (injectors/valves/???)

I realize this is likely a n00b question that gets asked over and over, but what should I be focusing on first? And feel free to say "DIDN'T YOU SEE THIS STICKY, N00B?" instead of direct responses.

I'm looking to start out with basic to intermediate "mechanical skill level" type mods at first. I don't mind taking stuff apart... I just want to make sure it's the type of stuff I can manage getting back together.

Thanks in advance for any nudges in the right direction.

+1
    the valves are fine until you rise the rev-limit
    yes do the easy stuff (no prop until your at your goal)
    then set a goal/plan with the upgrades you can afford

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Steve View Post
    I've been a lurker on GreenHulk for a while, and only recently decided to register and jump in.

Obviously, there's an overwhelming amount of modding info on this site. My goal is to leave one of my 2006 RXPs bone stock (for the kids and wife to ride) and make the other one "Daddy's Boat" with a focus on increased top speeds and increased wake jumping fun factor (my favorite thing to do on my 'Doo).

Is there a "modding for n00bs" thread anywhere that breaks down what are the realistic things to look at first? I realize that speed=$$$, and so one needs to decide how "fast" one wants to go. I've researched all the Riva "stages," but I'm not sure if those are the right suggestions for the highest bang for the buck. I don't mind spending money on my ski, I just don't want to be spending money on the "wrong" stuff.

The obvious "simple" mods (or what seem to be obvious) after lurking for so long appear to be:
    • More efficient airflow IN (intake/filter)
    • More efficient airflow OUT (exhaust)
    • More efficient water flow IN (intake grate)
    • More efficient water flow OUT (impeller/prop)
    • More responsive handling (sponsons/removal of O.P.A.S -- although I realize there is some disagreement about whether or not O.P.A.S. removal is really necessary)
    Then it seems the next "jump" in performance comes with the following:
    • More efficient intercooler
    • More efficient/powerful supercharger
    • More efficient fuel delivery (injectors/valves/???)
    I realize this is likely a n00b question that gets asked over and over, but what should I be focusing on first? And feel free to say "DIDN'T YOU SEE THIS STICKY, N00B?" instead of direct responses.

I'm looking to start out with basic to intermediate "mechanical skill level" type mods at first. I don't mind taking stuff apart... I just want to make sure it's the type of stuff I can manage getting back together.

Thanks in advance for any nudges in the right direction.
    That thread you are referring to does exist. Yet, even for a 8 year member, it was extremely hard to find. It was moved to a different section for some reason. Here it is: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16773

4. +1 by:

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the HULK Steve; you are definitely in the right place.

You've got great boats to start with, and all the research you need is already here. I am FAR from the authority here, but I'd guess that a 4" cold air intake, removing the (very) restrictive filter/intercooler from intake, and a thru-hull exhaust would be high on the list.

Theres also a thread around here somewhere on mods; I have absolutely poor luck with the search function here, so I'm kinda useless in locating it for you - thought it was in here, but I can't find it...

+1
    Work for what you want, backwards, then do the mods in reverse. If there is an impeller that works for what you want to do, but requires more power, do the power mod first. If you want handling, do the sponsons.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raceneked View Post
    You've got great boats to start with, and all the research you need is already here. I am FAR from the authority here, but I'd guess that a 4" cold air intake, removing the (very) restrictive filter/intercooler from intake, and a thru-hull exhaust would be high on the list.
    Just don't forget to add an external intercooler if you take out the restrictive intercooler from the intake manifold

8. +1 by:

+1

Cool

I've got a good friend who I ride with and his 06 rxp does 75mph on gps.
    He put in a 9lb s/c wheel, external inner cooler, intake grate, 4 inch air intake, pump wedge, different impeller, a shorty water box.
    He has all the reliability of a stock ski and consistently runs 75mph gps.
    I think he spent 1500-1700$

Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    He has all the reliability of a stock ski and consistently runs 75mph gps.
    Reliability is key for me. I want to spend most of my time riding, not tinkering. Mine currently indicates 70, but without GPS confirmation I can only assume that's optimistic.

I'll check out the recommended posts, and I welcome any and all additional input (the stuff you guys have suggested so far is great).

Thx!

+1
    Yes he beats the 255 & 260 stock skis out of the hole and whips there ASS top speed..

Any more than 75-77 and you can experience a buck.
    That's where the ski basically throws you because the pump can't take any more pressure due to the increased speed.
    So if your wanting to run 80+ then get familiar with pump pressure relief systems.
    75 mph gps speed is haulin ass and enough to hurt real bad if you wipe out.

Ride safe and wear your pfd super tight for speed runs..

+1
    If it says 70 on the dream o meter then your probably running 64-65.
    The dream o meters on 08 and older units is known to be that far off.
    The newer 09+ skis actually have a gps built in and they are still 2-3mph off.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information