99 xp big problems

Hey, I just replaced the engine hatch on my ski. I got done and when I went to start it I got nothing. I pulled the battery out and threw it on the battery tender to make sure it was charged. The battery wasn't really that low, so I put the battery back in and stil nothing. I check all the fuses and they were fine. So I start looking at connections and find the one connection going to the mpem melted. I look up to see what the wires were for and my diagram shows they are the wires going to the magneto. Did my magneto just melt down and fry my mpem as well? Or could something else have caused it?

+1
    isn't the rectifier on that circuit? in the mpem from magneto?

I had a similar problem with a 2000 gtx. Your description makes me think that your MPEM is most likely done. Before you go and replace it I would make every attempt to figure out exactly what killed it in the first place. A shorted out coil in the mag could be responsible. Jump starting the ski off a car battery will kill an MPEM in a heart beat. If you have a good Ohm meter you could unplug the mag and check to see if the coils are shorted. As far as the MPEM goes you could check all the fuses and replace any bad ones and cross your fingers. But you may very well be looking at pulling the motor, replacing the mag coil and then replacing the MPEM. I am pretty sure the voltage regulator for that ski model is contained inside the MPEM and there are no serviceable parts in the MPEM. Start looking on Ebay. If you can, be patient and wait for a good deal on one. Some people are very proud of the used parts they put up there. Also I would only shop/search by the part number you find on your current mpem. The price of a new one makes my head spin.

Yea, I'm going to have to check the rectifier.I definitely know the mpem is fried. I'm going to have to check the mag, Thanks

+1
    I have an MPEM. PM me if you want to buy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutphen115 View Post
    Yea, I'm going to have to check the rectifier.I definitely know the mpem is fried. I'm going to have to check the mag, Thanks
    my thinking is if is just the rectifier circuit you could do the aftermarket rxp one, there's a kit for it. it sounds like that's not an option at this point though. i would do it on your next mpem though

Thread Information