Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 Polaris Genesis slows down by itself

Can someone please help me! I am a girl who loves her 2000 Polaris Genesis, but I have a hard time finding anybody where I live who is qualified or even willing to work on it when it isn't running right.

Plus I'm sick of dumping money into parts/labor that turns out not to be the problem. I know that happens to everybody somewhat, but it's getting ridiculous! I have brothers and guy friends who will help me out with the basics though.

This is the current problem.... at times, right in the middle of when you are running it pretty fast, it just suddenly slows right down/ sounds "bogged down." At first I thought there was seaweed in the intake, but that's not it.

What I end up doing is shutting it off for a few minutes or a couple times and then it's fine again for awhile.

We changed the spark plugs...No change.

I also noticed there is more water that needs to be pumped out than it has typically had in the past. And are these problems possibly related?

Please help. I don't want to give up and buy a newer/ different one cause of the money...and cause I love the one I have!!!!

Thank you!
    Last edited by K447; 07-12-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Is your engine fuel injected or carburetor?

What is the service history on this machine?

Where are you located?

I think it has a carburetor. It has the "red engine" which I read was a carb engine. I know nothing about the service history except that I've owned it for about 5 years, and have done my very best. I need to see if someone can tell if I have those gray tempo brand fuel lines still in there, cause I read they corrode and gunk up the fuel delivery system. I also want to know if you think I am in over my head with an older model that I can't tinker with too much myself. I just wrote you a long explanation of other things/ circumstances, but it got lost!!! There. I'll try sending this one now. Thank u!!##

Well ok now it's sending my messages. People are telling me this problem could be anything, including something stupid/ easy to fix. I live between Rochester and Buffalo NY. I just don't like the newer models. I like this one!!! Thanks again!

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Can you post some pictures of the engine compartment? Ever near Irondiquoit bay with the PWC?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jennafer View Post
    I think it has a carburetor. It has the "red engine" which I read was a carb engine. I know nothing about the service history except that I've owned it for about 5 years, and have done my very best. I need to see if someone can tell if I have those gray tempo brand fuel lines still in there, cause I read they corrode and gunk up the fuel delivery system. I also want to know if you think I am in over my head with an older model that I can't tinker with too much myself. I just wrote you a long explanation of other things/ circumstances, but it got lost!!! There. I'll try sending this one now. Thank u!!##
    Well ok now it's sending my messages. People are telling me this problem could be anything, including something stupid/ easy to fix. I live between Rochester and Buffalo NY. I just don't like the newer models. I like this one!!! Thanks again!
    Whether you pursue repairing and keeping this machine is, of course, entirely up to you.

Any older watercraft is going to need maintenance and 'mechanical love'. Otherwise, it is just a matter of when, not if, problems start developing.

What makes it possible for an old watercraft to be reliable is almost entirely dependent on how the owner approaches maintenance and keeping the machine in a 'state of good repair'.

If you are willing to learn, and do the hands on work, you can see that there is help and guidance available around here. And it seems you are within driving distance of some GH members. Meeting up with other members who try to help each other can be an upside aspect of owning these machines.

Tip for writing longer posts and replies; type up your message up in a simple text editor like Notepad. Once you have it put together your message, copy and paste the whole text block into your Greenhulk online reply web page. Do not use a full blown word processor, as these tend to insert all sorts of complex formatting codes when copied and pasted.

I will have to have my son post the pics for me when he gets out of work, I can't do it for some reason. (I know...its scary that I cant even figure out how to upload a pic on here, let alone fix my waverunner). I use the waverunner at Silver and Conesus Lakes mostly, but also up in the 1,000 islands. Everybody loves it. I end up giving the smaller kids rides on it all day long when we are up there. I like the size of this particular waverunner, and the huge padded seat. Mostly what I'm asking for help with here is some ideas about what could be wrong with it. Once I have an idea of what it could be, I can then decide how I want to proceed. I do wish I knew more about my waverunner's engine too though. But I think I know more about things like lawnmowers and waverunners than the average girl too.

I know what you are saying. That's why this older model would probably be best for those who can "tinker" with it. I feel the same way when it comes to cars. I always drive something on the newer side because I know I can't deal with it when little things keep busting on it. I wish I had the manual for my waverunner. I would actually read it. I didn't look, but I could probably find one somewhere here on the net...any ideas where? I would like to know more about general maintenance. I admit I don't know much, just the basics. Thank you.

+1
    I wish I had the manual for my waverunner. I would actually read it. I didn't look, but I could probably find one somewhere here on the net...any ideas where? I would like to know more about general maintenance. I admit I don't know much, just the basics. Thank you.
    Have you looked through my signature links?

Tip: Waverunner is a Yamaha brand. Jetski is a Kawasaki trademark.

We just call the Polaris stuff 'personal watercraft'.

Sorry I bailed for awhile. I got really busy. My Polaris is at a guy friend's house. It was better to let him look at it for me than to have it sit in my driveway. He is asking me to pick up a service manual, but I can't find one for that year (2000) anywhere. Any ideas? I did tell him to come on here, to this forum. And I would have had my son upload the pics of the engine comp now, but of course he isn't home. I'm not giving up yet. Anyway, any ideas how I can get a service manual for a 2000 Polaris Genesis-1200...please and thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information