Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No compression

No compression

Just checked the compression(kinda) on my SLT 700. I couldn't get the engine to turn over with the start button(the solenoid just clicks) so I probably got a bad solenoid(?). I tried two different brand new batteries as well with the same results.

I was able to turn the motor over by hand, and when I put my finger over the PTO spark plug hole, I felt no pressure. On the MAG spark plug hole I felt pressure. I haven't had time to take off the head, but this probably explains why my MAG and PTO spark plugs were whitish/tan and black, respectively.

Any suggestions on how to approach this? Price of a rebuild kit, or if its even worth trying to fix? I got it for free so I could stop now and try to just sell it as is with trailer...

Pulled the head to the PTO cylinder. Engine is shot beyond repair....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130712_185031.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	306472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130712_185040.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	306473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130712_185046.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	306474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130712_185056.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	306475  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobster View Post
    would this engine fit? seller says it would.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-700-...8eacfc&vxp=mtr
    For that price I'd get one from SBT, at least they offer warranty. Those scrapes on piston side of the EB one kinda got me worried.
    http://www.shopsbt.com/polaris-jet-s...rd/40-302.html

Quote Originally Posted by loonatik View Post
    would this engine fit? seller says it would.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-700-...8eacfc&vxp=mtr
    For that price I'd get one from SBT, at least they offer warranty. Those scrapes on piston side of the EB one kinda got me worried.
    http://www.shopsbt.com/polaris-jet-s...rd/40-302.html
    Only problem with SBT is they require a usable core i think. I sent SBT an email to see my options.

Yes, that engine will fit but I'm with loonatik, I wouldn't spend that much for something with > normal scoring on a piston skirt.

Let me know if you want to sell your damaged engine.

Quote Originally Posted by skyboy View Post
    Yes, that engine will fit but I'm with loonatik, I wouldn't spend that much for something with > normal scoring on a piston skirt.

Let me know if you want to sell your damaged engine.
    RIght, I don't plan on buying that one. I was just seeing if the ones from different models bolt right up. Plenty of used ones on Ebay, and a few remanned. Hopefully I can salvage the remaining parts of the engine as a 'partial' core to get a remanned one. but we will see.

I know why the engine failed now. When I was checking around the engine, I noticed one of the bolt missing from the oil pump(?) to the flywheel cover, and the pump's "slot" that goes into the flywheel, was out of the cover. Pretty sure oil starvation killed it. I know when i get it all back together, I'm going the premix route!

Since I'm going to be replacing the engine, any suggestions on what else I should do while everything is apart? I know I'm going to buy a new starter bendix, but what else? Seals? Updated ign system(if i can find it)? motor mounts?

This one seems tempting, its $699 OBO ... it does have a reman crankshaft tho, would that be an issue?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-96-0...4db66f&vxp=mtr

That would be a quick way to get running and on the water. I think this seller would credit you at least $100 for your engine core - that's what I would offer for it. Then you're out of pocket no more than you would be if you rebuilt the current engine yourself. Nothing wrong with a rebuilt crank....in fact that's much better than a worn out crank, lol.

I sent the seller an offer, but no response yet. hopefully he takes it. if he doesn't, I think I may just part out the ski, I have nothing, but time, invested in it currently and already made a list of what it would cost to get it running, including all the recommended maintenance. it's $1000+

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information