Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

worth it to buy??

Hi
    I'm new here, so any info is appreciated!
    I happen to come across a 1992 polaris sl 650 for 800 bucks. Over all it looks like its in good shape. BUT (lets face it, there's always a but) the ad says blown motor.
    I called the guy expecting the worst. Well it turns out its only 1 cyl and he just does not have the time to fix it.
    I stumbled across this forum and thought if anyone can give me any advice or help, it will be you guys! Iíll give you the info he gave me about the jet ski, then I'll give my thoughts.
    OK, the engine and carbs were fully rebuilt last summer. Fuel system was also inspected and updated (3 outlet pump) at the same time. When out for the first time this year pto cyl failed. He describes it as ďdetonatingĒ but i'm not 100 percent sure what he means. He performed a compression test (although I donít have the numbers). Cyls 1 and 2 are good, 3 is zero. It does still run, but he strongly recommends against it as further damage could occur (obviously). I asked about what may have caused it. He believes it was caused by a lean condition- possibly by something getting stuck in the carb. At the state its in, he says the piston itself is all that needs replacing, well and finding out what caused the initial issue.

After reading pages and pages on this forum (thanks to everyone who has contributed, SOOOOO much help already), I know fuel has always been an issue for these. My thoughts are like he said- clogged carb, possibly when updating the fuel system he forgot to reinstall the restrictor, kinked line, or leaky gaskets.
    Anyone got any other ideas?

Just a quick point I should mention. I know squat about PWCís and their motors. I'm a certified GM tech by trade, so I do have tools and experience with engines, but its all automotive. That said, if it seems like I know what I'm talking about, or I seem smart, Its all from what I have already read on these forums!

Also, IF it is just that 1 cyl that has gone bad, do I have to pull the entire motor out and take it right apart like on a car, or is a piston something I can do in the machine? In some of the pics I've seen, it looks like I can just take the 1 cyl off the engine and work on it alone. Am I right? If thats all it is, what is the price tag on the repair (approximate with me doing the work)?

Thanks,
    Mike

+1
    First off, welcome to the hulk!

If you haven't found this link already, spend some time reading through this site: https://sites.google.com/site/polari...is-fuji-engine

That has a great deal of information for Polaris skis with the Fuji engine. If you do end up buying it plan to replace all fuel lines, rebuild carbs (with genuine Mikuni kits), replace the fuel pump with a triple outlet pump and replace the fuel select valve.

When you refer to cylinders they are typically called the mag (magneto/stator end), cen (center) and pto (power take off). The mag is the one closest to the front of the hull and you work your way back from there. You can work on the engine inside the hull although on a 2-seater it may be pretty tight in there. I recently had a crank bearing fail and I began the teardown inside the hull on my 94 SLT 750. It wasn't too bad to pull a cylinder but there isn't a ton of room even in the three-seater.

I'm not sure where you are but around here a 92 650 with a blown motor wouldn't be going for that much. That price seems to be on the high side regardless of your location though. If it comes with a trailer that should be worth some money but that would depend on condition, model, etc as well.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Personally I would not buy a 650, it is way underpowered and really the worst ski Polaris ever made. With that said. I watch Craigs List alot and can buy bad motor 750's all the time if I wanted for 3-400.00. It sounds like too much.If on a trailer I would say about 200.00 to high. And yes, you can replace the pistons with the motor in the ski.

Thanks for the replys already, please keep em comming
    I did find that link, and have started reading over it. Kinda alot to take in when just getting into it. But worth the read!
    I know the carbs were rebult with the proper mikuni kits, and I know he just put in the tripple outlet pump. What/ where is the select valve? Am i right to agree with him that it is fuel related? and is it possible that its something as stupid as a head gasket?
    The cyl araingment I knew from what I read on here! I just wasnt sure if it is removable, or a sealed unit.

Any other hints, tips, advice or anything?

I'm in Manioba Canada. To be honest, I already figgured it was a bit high. Even though he has put a trim kit on it, and the full rebuild cost for it last summer was almost 1700 bucks.
    However the cheapest running jet ski of any brand that even looks relitivly worth it is about 1500 to 1700 and those are all late 80's, early 90's aswell. If I can pick one up for half that, and put a couple hundred into it, I'm still ahead!
    I know its not gonna be fast, or perfect. but I'm looking for something for me and my girlfrend to get on and try it out. We both race at the local dirt track, so for speed, we go there. We just want a toy to put around on at the cottage!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by house_chair View Post
    ... I'm looking for something for me and my girlfrend to get on and try it out. We both race at the local dirt track, so for speed, we go there. We just want a toy to put around on at the cottage!
    The two seater SL models may not be the right choice then.

The SL technically can carry two people, but it is much happier with one rider.

The SLT models are designated as three person, but work nicely for two people. The hull is longer and more stable, especially at low speeds and when re boarding in deep water.

The SL models tend to be tippy with two people on board, especially at low speeds. If the total 'people weight' is going to be on the heavy side, even more reason to look for a three seater.

Although we might ride it together occasionaly, it will probably be mostly 1 at a time. The combined weight is about 240LB plus or minus. Reboarding? Just dont fall off! lol
    I understand what you are saying though, and thanks. This is just whats come up in my area, in my price range.

+1
    Although we might ride it together occasionaly, it will probably be mostly 1 at a time. The combined weight is about 240LB plus or minus.

Reboarding? Just dont fall off! lol

I understand what you are saying though, and thanks. This is just whats come up in my area, in my price range.
    You're not riding it properly if you never fall off

Watching two people reboard an SL in deep water can be quite entertaining.

Find something that fits your needs. Do the maintenance work up front to make it reliable.

Then go riding!

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I doubt a head gasket caused a burn down,normally a head gasket will leaks water into the cylinder. More of a fuel problem or a air leak,think crank seal maybe. Can you see a hole in the piston? what color was the spark plug.

lol, yea especially being new to it, Im gonna be soaked many times! Her family and I all laugh at eachother getting on the inner tube, so this is just a second show! lol
    Thats exactly it. Cheap with some small repairs is perfect right now! And with me being a tech, I SHOULD be able to keep my head above water!

Ill get back to you on the piston and plug. I'm at work, and te guys gone for the weekend, so I can ask sunday night when I see him again.

+1
    ... Cheap with some small repairs is perfect right now! And with me being a tech, I SHOULD be able to keep my head above water!...
    Be aware that quite often there is more work needed than what seems evident at first. Often the seller is unaware of the other problems, especially if they have yet to stop the machine.

These may be small things, but things that need doing to avoid more expensive issues later. Examples;
    Through-hull drive shaft seals, replace with new, avoid water leaks and potential for flooding the hull while riding.

Jet pump bearings and seals, inspect or replace. Avoid jet pump bearing failure at speed which can destroy the jet pump stator and/or impeller.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information