oil blockoff kit on a 1200 non-pv

I have always done the oil block off kit with the removal of the oil pump on my waverunners.

yesterday, I went and helped a friend by his first Yamaha SUV but the oil was not blocked off yet.

before I convince him to pull out his wrenches and figure out how to be a garage mechanic I wanted to ask, is it necessary to go through the minimal work and minimal expense install this kit or can I just have him disconnect the oil sensing cable and jump it and simply switch to premix? I just cannot see any other necessary reason to do the block off. Also, if he ever decided that he wanted to abandon premixing it would be a much easier return to stock. Input please?

EDIT:

Forgot to add this: It is my understanding that oil pumps rarely fail. Given that, is their an oil line extension kit that someone sells to simply extend each of the 3 oil lines that feed the 3 carbs through the flame arrestor and then use a twisted wire vs. a zip tie to increase the odds of them staying on their respective connections? I'll be cleaning out the carbs anyway so that part would be easy to do a quick mod on. Again, the objective here is to give him a choice to easily switch back to post-mix if he ever wants to. I can't imagine that the small amount of air being sucked in through the 3 empty lines (if pre-mixing with the pump in place) would make any difference to the fuel/air mixture???
    Last edited by macGruber; 07-13-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Go premix and never look back..............seen them done both ways......leaving the pump in with the lines blocked off and oil tank drained.......but I would suggest getting a block off plate kit......only $13 at azjetski in phoenix,az...........or shopsbt.com for $14.....if you get the block off plate you could always just switch back(but why would you?)...........
    Quote Originally Posted by gigem View Post
    I have always done the oil block off kit with the removal of the oil pump on my waverunners.

yesterday, I went and helped a friend by his first Yamaha SUV but the oil was not blocked off yet.

before I convince him to pull out his wrenches and figure out how to be a garage mechanic I wanted to ask, is it necessary to go through the minimal work and minimal expense install this kit or can I just have him disconnect the oil sensing cable and jump it and simply switch to premix? I just cannot see any other necessary reason to do the block off. Also, if he ever decided that he wanted to abandon premixing it would be a much easier return to stock. Input please?

EDIT:

Forgot to add this: It is my understanding that oil pumps rarely fail. Given that, is their an oil line extension kit that someone sells to simply extend each of the 3 oil lines that feed the 3 carbs through the flame arrestor and then use a twisted wire vs. a zip tie to increase the odds of them staying on their respective connections? I'll be cleaning out the carbs anyway so that part would be easy to do a quick mod on. Again, the objective here is to give him a choice to easily switch back to post-mix if he ever wants to. I can't imagine that the small amount of air being sucked in through the 3 empty lines (if pre-mixing with the pump in place) would make any difference to the fuel/air mixture???

I would imagine that the pump might self lubricate using the oil from the reservoir. Not removing it and blocking it off may damage the pump. It obviously wouldn't matter a ton if it is never going to be used again.

Can anyone chime in if my assumption is correct?

+1
    I've seen too many issues with lines coming off. Mine did it at 23 hrs and I lost a cyl. A friend bought one and first time out had a line pop and lost the engine... not worth it in my book. Too much risk with affiliated $$$

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbobb View Post
    I would imagine that the pump might self lubricate using the oil from the reservoir. Not removing it and blocking it off may damage the pump. It obviously wouldn't matter a ton if it is never going to be used again.

Can anyone chime in if my assumption is correct?
    This is how I see it

Thats exactly what I'm wondering Chadbobb. I assume the pump is greased or a self lube job but when it freezes up...big whoop if a person is already on premix? Of course...that oil pump slides into the flywheel cover and the slot in it engages the flywheel bolt if I remember correctly? If it did burn up, I bet you could end up with metal shavings in the fly eh? Has to be a good reason for removing it and I bet that is the issue. $12 it is.

I just bought the kit for $15 shipped on ebay. Worth it without question. Its cheap insurance.

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gigem View Post

EDIT:

Soooo, you always remove the pump on the machines you own (quoting the first sentence of your post) - but you're willing to experiment on your friends machine to save him approximately $20??

Thread Information