Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Please help!!! Carbon seal

As soon as I dropped my 03 gtx in the water today it started filling with water without the seadoo Running. Water was coming in just after the boot where the shaft comes in. Also last week I noticed a loss of 300-500 rpm. Can the carbon seal cause as loss in rpms?

+1
    I don't know about a carbon seal causing the loss in rpm, but it will leak heavily if cracked/broken. It's 10 years old, soooo I'd replace the carbon seal and rubber boot. Check the 'hat' (what the carbon seal pushes against) for any scratches/gouges, as it may need replacement too.
    Do NOT reuse the 'C' clip that holds the 'hat' in place--buy a new one (I'd buy two for good measure).
    Good luck!

+1
    [QUOTE=Mothman;2211873]I don't know about a carbon seal causing the loss in rpm, but it will leak heavily if cracked/broken. It's 10 years old, soooo I'd replace the carbon seal and rubber boot. Check the 'hat' (what the carbon seal pushes against) for any scratches/gouges, as it may need replacement too.
    Do NOT reuse the 'C' clip that holds the 'hat' in place--buy a new one (I'd buy two for good measure).
    Good luck![/QUOTE
    Thanks, I hope the rpm loss is because of the carbon seal. This things a money pit I'm getting pretty discouraged.

+1
    Fix that seal/boot assembly first,otherwise if you sink it,you wont have to worry about your RPM issue anymore....

+1
    Is this ski a fresh water or saltwater ski? What does the driveshaft look like....is it all rusted?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Is this ski a fresh water or saltwater ski? What does the driveshaft look like....is it all rusted?
    I bought it used and the guy before me used it in salt water. I looked under the ski on the trailer and yes the shaft looks pretty rusted.

+1
    Replace the following parts:
    driveshaft, carbon seal,bellows, floating ring (hat), C clip.

You'll want to check the forward/reward movement of the driveshaft. This requires installing the pump and driveshaft without the carbon seal, bellows/hat/C clip. You want between 1/2" to 3/8" movement of the driveshaft....no more or less, and if necessary, move the engine back towards the pump. Remove the driveshaft then, using the alignment tools, re-align the engine to pump/thur the hull.

Check the clearance between the impeller blades to the wear ring. If its larger than .012" replace the wear ring.

Once all that is completed, install all the parts, and with the ski still on the trailer and in the water, look for leaks. If no leaks, go ride!

+1
    Should the shaft be replaced? Will a rusted shaft do to salt water use cause rpms to drop? Should I be checking anything else do to salt water use? I've already upgraded my plastic pump housing to aluminum at the beginning of the summer and its been running great till now. I've also fixed the opas paddles up with 3/4 PVC. I didn't like the way it jerked in choppy water, and runs great with them up permanently.

+1
    Check the grove on the shaft.....if the edges are rounded replace the shaft.

+1
    Replace the following parts:
    driveshaft, carbon seal,bellows, floating ring (hat), C clip.

You'll want to check the forward/reward movement of the driveshaft. This requires installing the pump and driveshaft without the carbon seal, bellows/hat/C clip. You want between 1/2" to 3/8" movement of the driveshaft....no more or less, and if necessary, move the engine back towards the pump. Remove the driveshaft then, using the alignment tools, re-align the engine to pump/thur the hull.

Check the clearance between the impeller blades to the wear ring. If its larger than .012" replace the wear ring.

Once all that is completed, install all the parts, and with the ski still on the trailer and in the water, look for leaks. If no leaks, go ride!
    I wrote that last one as you posted this reply. Thanks a lot for the info! Much appreciated. Would that cause my loss of 400 rpms? Should I look into anything else due to salt water use?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information