Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First PWC (Used) - Dealer's Evaluation Turned out Baaad

So, I decided that I would buy myself a PWC since I've always wanted one. Figured I'd buy a used one first to make sure that I'd like it as much as I thought I would before jumping into the big money. Bought a 2001 XL800 off Craigslist. Met the guy, rode the ski and it rode fine. This thing is a 2-stroke engine so I was expecting it to sound different from a 4-stroke. Started right up, rode nicely, body was in "decent" shape and got it up and planed out to about 45 mph just tooling around to check it out. Bought it. 2,000 spent.

Took it out today with the wife. I rode it first to make sure that everything was ok for about an hour then got the wife on the back. Idled out fine but then when I went to speed up experienced some major cavitation. Took it back to the dock, made sure nothing was stuck in it. We took it back out for a few hours and ran (what I felt) to be ok. Stopped by a friends house and showed it to them. They recomended taking it to the Yamaha dealer to have them just do a once over mechanically of it since it was older to be safe. I did....

Dealer service department said it wasn't good at all. Missing Pump Seal and what they put on the evaluation as (underlined 3 times) Major Engine Knock. They said that the way it sounds that it WILL strand me at some point but they couldn't really tell how bad without tearing it down. Also said that just 1 piston being messed up was going to run over 1000 dollars and they could not recommend me putting that kind of money into this craft.

That said, I see places like pwcengine.com that rebuilds entire engines for 1,000. But then I have 3 grand into a craft that is not worth that much and honestly after spending the 2 grand to buy it, I don't have a spare grand laying around. I see piston and ring sets on the internet for 80 bucks so what could the dealer be talking about when they say it's gonna be 1,000 bucks just for the parts for 1 piston????

I know I was an idiot for buying a used craft off Craigslist and let my excitement get in the way of good judgement but now I just need to figure out how to make this thing either seaworthy or sellable. Seaworthy will work. Worst case, I resell it disclosing all that's wrong with it, lose money and then buy something brand new. I can't trust anyone selling anything new anymore.

+1
    Two strokes are fairly easy to work on. Engine knock something out of balance or a failing bearing.
    Do a compression test to see what its like. I would pull the cylinder off and replace piston and rings get a new pump seal . change plugs could also be a bad spark causing missfire / knock

Yea, the dealer said that there were some etchings from actually 2003 saying the compression was 130 and they said it should be more like 150 on these. But looking at their eval sheet they have engine compression as OK and then engine performance as poor so who the hell knows. They "did" say that they really wouldn't know without tearing into it but their tone and what they were saying was seeming VERY doom and gloom. Seem to be saying (without saying it) that I'd been had badly. Said unfortunately they see this on about 8 out of 10 of these evaluations when people buy them off Craigslist and then bring them in.

+1
    Don't sweat it. If you can hold tools you can take care of everything that's wrong with your ski using the years of collected wisdom stored here on the Hulk. For starters, set aside about four hours to search the 2-stroke database for general background info. I would bet you can take every screw, bolt, clip, rivet, and clamp off your waverunner and put it back together based solely on what you find here. Get your metric tools and a digital camera and get going.

Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    Don't sweat it. If you can hold tools you can take care of everything that's wrong with your ski using the years of collected wisdom stored here on the Hulk. For starters, set aside about four hours to search the 2-stroke database for general background info. I would bet you can take every screw, bolt, clip, rivet, and clamp off your waverunner and put it back together based solely on what you find here. Get your metric tools and a digital camera and get going.
    +1

I have done a ton of research on here to get my ski going again. The engine blew up last year (before that i only had it one summer, and just ran it without ever going through anything despite knowing the previous owner did some stupid stuff to it).

Anyways, It's running great now. I still have some things I need to do to it that I am kicking myself for nothing doing when I had the neigne out two weeks ago, but overall it's done and ready to. Top end rebuild.

I do come with good mechanical knowledge and understanding of cars/motorcycles so jumping into this hasn't been terrible. Minor differences that throw me off time to time. But even without the previous knowledge, rebuilding my 2-stroke would have been easy enough.

xlt800 compression is 120 not 150 stock!
    and i have hit the edit button, the dealer doesnt even now what the compression sould be?
    Where you located? Sounds like a crappy. eval!

7. +1 by:

WFO

Took it back to the dock, made sure nothing was stuck in it. We took it back out for a few hours and ran (what I felt) to be ok.
    Sounds ok to me. I dont trust dealerships with these older 2-strokes. Ive got two dealers in my area who are honest - and they tell me they will not work on a 2 stroke ski. Glad they are honest (The heck with them I say!)

My guess is, since you felt cavitation is a couple of things:

1. It is only 800cc., but its still a fast/fun ski. With two people riding, its gonna feel like a dawg even if rider #2 is only 120lb. I feel a second person big time on my GP1200r.
    2. You were probably idleing around for the first time with 2 people just getting the feel for it. Your waterbox was full of water doing this by design. You'll find the engine will always have a sluggish holeshot after any kind of idling - its just the engine exhaust pushing a lot of water out of the waterbox. Backpressure from water in waterbox. Reasearch jetworks mod to correct this if you want, or just know/deal with it. I like to blip the trottle a few times at the end of the no-wake zone to help clear the exhaust's throat.
    3. Theres a chance your ski may have some crusty carbs especially if it sat a long time. You might want to consider rebuilding them.
    4. Check your intake grate, impreller, wear ring, and consider getting a pump seal kit to help aliviate cavitation.

Your compression sounds fine if its 120psi. Change the plugs. Read the plugs. Switch that ski to pre-mix asap.

Have fun!

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to go ahead and try to fix it. I'm in Houston area Skittb. It's already doing pre-mix instead of using the oil injector. Previous owner just plugged the oil hose off I think. Bought a service manual this morning so hopefully that's a good start. Hell, I may even undertake some fiberglass repair while I'm at it. LOL I suppose this will be my order of operations? Will I be pulling the entire engine out to do the following or can it all be done while in the craft?

1. Replace pistons/rings
    2. Rebuild carbs
    3. Replace Spark plugs
    4. Replace Pump Seal
    5. Checkout this Jetworks mod ZeroClient mentioned..
    6. Do some body work while the engine is out.

Will I need to exchange the cylinders (Millenium technologies) along with the pistons?

The engine won't run? Do a comp test. Are you sure it's blown?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information