Help me choose my next ski

Hey Guys, I am making this thread just to get some discussions going because to me there are a lot of possible choices in upgrading to a bigger toy. Nothing is going to be happening immediately due to the fact that I am leaving for college in a month, if all goes well I will hopefully be able to find a job near or at my college to raise some money. But anyways I have really put some thought on what to get next. I currently have a 95 Seadoo SPX with a 657x and a 720 pipe thrown in it. It was at 52.3 mph on a gps run. I've had the ski 3.5 years now and I still remember when I was 14 going on 15 when I opened a present and there was a picture frame of a Ski in pieces and would need to be put back together, the reason I first got onto greenhulk and started my first thread. But as I get older, I want to go faster so it's about time for me to upgrade. I want something that is reliable that does have performance. I am a speed demon and I want something that can somewhat keep up with the big dogs but that isn't too high maintenance or maybe something that is easy to throw some mods on. Plus when I take my family Vacation I need to keep up with Danny U and my uncle haha. The question I really have it do I bump up to lets say a 951 RX? Or maybe a GPR because I am told that throwing a few mods on that ski can really make it roar. Or do I make the big jump to the big bad 4-stroke? I guess money is a little important so I would be willing to be putting in 4000-5000 but once again nothing is for sure so anything can happen. I may not be able to afford anything for another year, just trying to get some ideas. Hopefully I can get some feedback on some suggestions. Sorry if I type alot. Im just excited talking about getting a new jetski! Been riding since I was tiny and I just can't get enough of them! Thanks Guys!
    -Zack

+1

+1
    Oh boy. Here we go. This may get heated!!!

The kawi 15f is a fun fast reliable ski and four stroke. The Yamaha gpr is an awesome ski if u want the 2-stroke. Those are my two favorite choices at the price range. Either of those skis top speed is low 60's mph. The gpr probably even faster.

Banned User
    +1
    Zack, its been fun to watch you grow and learn about watercraft...My whole goal getting you involved was to teach you simple, basic things....then watch you reach out and teach yourself, and go in the direction you wanted to go.....which you have done

That SPX has taught you a lot, mainly the basics....It was apart, in boxes, for a reason....You learned how to put it together, a basic 2-stroke motor...THAT was your foundation...From there you learned to keep it running, trouble shoot problems, create solutions, and most importantly.....developed a connection with it. That connection transformed into other areas of your life, from school work to building a PC for yourself....all relative.

NOW for my recommendation, for the next step.........

You are not ready for a 4-stroke, you need to learn the other important step.....the hull. One main component to speed is proper hull setup. Managing the water around you that you ride in.....And for that, no other platform will teach you more than the GPR.

Start looking for a GPR, spend some time learning how a little tweek here and there will net big results....once you get the hang of it, tied into your motor foundation....you'll be on the right track.

But you still need to learn how to break your posting up into paragraphs, makes it easier to read.....DORK!

I' am really leaning towards the gpr. Once again i just wanted to get some conversations going on what are other options.

The STX-R is a nice fast 2-stroke ski. I like it a little more than the gpr's because it is skinnier in the seat and is more comfortable imo

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Id say look at the stx-r or stx15f. That is the hull that was used as the base for every race hull until the ultra 300 came out. The 15f is quite possibly the most reliable 4 stroke out and can be had within your budget. It can be made to run 67-69 with no motor work and the sky is the limit if you want to spend.

I have a 12f and a 15f and both have impressed me in the ride, fun factor, and reliability.

Sean

I've have rode on a few kawis before and I would say the ride was not that bad. I was on a STX-R and I did like the ride. I also have been looking at the Seadoo RXs and GSX. XP lim are not looking to bad either. Rode one last month for the first time.

I have a soft spot for seadoos because those are the ski's I grew up on.

Thread Information