Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

95 ZXI 900 oil injection setup?

Hey Guys,

Just picked up a really clean almost brand new looking 95 ZXI 900. It's my first jet ski and I'm pretty excited. It has all sorts of after market parts on it that I need to learn about. Grate, rider plate or something, these deals on the side that catch water when you turn (forget the name now). So far I've only taken it on a short test drive while making the purchase.

Anyhow the person I got it from told me the oil injection system was disconnected or disabled as they are well known to fail and ruin engines. Instead he told me to premix gas 50:1 with the 2 stroke oil and use it that way. Is this true? Is this what most people are doing to avoid seizing up motors with no oil? I've had 2 stoke motor cycles with oil injection and it always worked very well and seems to smoke less and be more efficient on the oil. Plus just a ton more convenient when gassing up.

He also told me the battery doesn't hold a charge so he puts it on a trickle charger the night before he plans on taking it out. I checked with my meter and there is no current draw what so ever when the power switch is in the off position so I suspected a bad battery. He said it's a brand new one he just put in Feb. Looked inside the battery and the electrolyte fluid was so low it seemed non existent. I topped it up and put it on a charger. If that doesn't fix it I'll replace the battery.

Thanks for any tips or info.

Malcolm

+1
    The oil pump is virtually the same as the Mikuni pumps used on motorcycles. It's the most reliable part on the boat. There have been problems with the hoses getting brittle and splitting, or just falling off if not secured properly. Best thing to do is run oil injection and replace the hoses with polyurethane or Tygon hose. Secure with stainless steel safety wire.

If you're running pre-mix and the carb gets trash in it, guess what--it runs lean AND doesn't have enough oil.

Buy a sealed battery. O'Reilly's and Bass Pro Shops have batteries with REAL terminals on them, too.

That's great to hear. Thanks. Is there a way to verify the oil injection pump is working before putting straight gas in there? All I can think of is try and put oil in the injection bottle and see if it smokes even worse than now although that may foul the plugs too. I assume the previous owner disconnected the low oil light somehow to because it does not light up and I'm pretty sure there's no oil although I couldn't find the oil injection bottle when I briefly looked.

Where do I get the polyurethane hoses and stainless safety wire?

If this battery is no good I'll get a sealed unit. I imagine that's a good idea as much as these bounce around. What do you mean by real terminals?

BTW is the ZXI 900 service manual and owners manuals in PDF on the web somewhere? I did some searching but haven't found it yet.

+1
    You'll have to look to see if the oil injection system is even there. If the pump has been removed, you'll have to find another one. In that case, it may be easier to just leave it as is. If the pump is there and it's been running without oil, it may be damaged. I used to own a '95 ZXi, but I don't remember where the oil reservoir was.

To verify that it's working, fill the reservoir and mark the top of the oil level. Ride for a few hours, then check the oil level again. You should have to add about a gallon of oil per 50 gallons of gasoline.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    most oil injection pump fails I've seen on kaw triples have been from failure of the transfer shaft bearing in the stator cover from water intrusion, the transfer shaft and it's mating part in the stator cover wear very quickly, then finally the pump stops turning.

It's a very poor design, and the legend of failure of mikuni oil pumps continues as the fleet of two strokes ages. It's not a routine check item on that model..it's got little to no clearance to remove that stator cover.

I've always said running an injected ski on premix puts you one brain fart away from losing the engine.

first thing you gotta do IF you convert to premix is to label the fuel inlet as "premix only" and perhaps paint the gas cap red

batteries made by East Penn have heavy duty terminals with integrated threads that require no nuts or gymnastics to fetch a nut that fell into the hull. The sell at various autoparts stores under various names, big crank brand is also made by East penn. The east Penn branded batter is the deka..and that's the only thing I deal in.

You have to use some care with those batteries on Polaris where the electrical box sits on top of the battery as the terminal will short against the electric box, which gets expensive in less then ten seconds.

I recall there was some hull issue on that ski where a bit of plastic had to be added to the hull to improve stability. may want to search around on that a bit..one of our members knows about it. I just know "of it"

+1
    Now that you mention it, I did have to replace the bearings on the oil pump drive coupling on my STX 1100. Guess it was a blessing in disguise that I had to take the stator cover off.

It was the '96 ZXi 1100 that had the recall for the nosebowl add-on. They were dangerous without it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    most oil injection pump fails I've seen on kaw triples have been from failure of the transfer shaft bearing in the stator cover from water intrusion, the transfer shaft and it's mating part in the stator cover wear very quickly, then finally the pump stops turning.

It's a very poor design, and the legend of failure of mikuni oil pumps continues as the fleet of two strokes ages. It's not a routine check item on that model..it's got little to no clearance to remove that stator cover.

I've always said running an injected ski on premix puts you one brain fart away from losing the engine.

first thing you gotta do IF you convert to premix is to label the fuel inlet as "premix only" and perhaps paint the gas cap red
    Thanks for that info, I needed to hear that. When I was switching the stator cover off of an older 900 motor onto a newer motor I remember that bearing feeling a bit rough, enough to cause me concern. Went ahead with it because I have always heard how reliable the oil pumps are.
    Didn't know the bearing behind the oil pump is what took them out.

Looking at the price of the "damper bearing", it is over a hundred bucks. Hmmm, at that price one starts to consider going premix...but premix is not for me, I'll pay the price for the bearing (damper).

+1
    Don't buy the bearings from Kawasaki, they're a standard size. Just pull them and take them to a bearing shop for replacements. I paid about $20 for mine.

Yamaha doesn't use this setup, they just have a flexible coupling between the flywheel and oil pump with no bearings.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Don't buy the bearings from Kawasaki, they're a standard size. Just pull them and take them to a bearing shop for replacements. I paid about $20 for mine.

Yamaha doesn't use this setup, they just have a flexible coupling between the flywheel and oil pump with no bearings.
    Thanks big time Steve!!!
    I certainly do appreciate all the valuable and experienced info that you and Pete give out on a regular basis. Simply priceless!!!

I was wondering 'if' I could just change the bearing out, and you just answered that question for me.
    Now if you only had that bearing number so I could order it online...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information