Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Help! 1996 XP problem!!!!

2nd season on my 96 XP and I haven't run into this issue yet.

All of the sudden, if I go full throttle the engine sounds like it is revving full throttle, the impeller sounds like its going full out but im not getting full speed whatsoever. Maybe going 50 km/h (30mph) whereas top speed is normally 90km/h (55mph).

Any idea? Feels like somethings not right. I'm sure this is an easy one for some of you X4/787 nuts out there!

Thanks!

Yes it is an easy one. Lets start with super easy in case you luck out. First make sure that your carbon seal is still pressed up against your Stainless ring on the drive shaft. Give your pto boot a couple pumps of grease if you haven't recently. The accordian boot looses a little spring tension over the years and you can loosen up the rear clamp on the through hull and slide everything forward half an inch and then re tighten the clamp. Now you should have a good seal there.

If that does not change things then your wear ring needs to be replaced. Not quite as easy but very doable and you can change your pump oil while your in there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dlajoy1122 View Post
    2nd season on my 96 XP and I haven't run into this issue yet.

All of the sudden, if I go full throttle the engine sounds like it is revving full throttle, the impeller sounds like its going full out but im not getting full speed whatsoever. Maybe going 50 km/h (30mph) whereas top speed is normally 90km/h (55mph).

Any idea? Feels like somethings not right. I'm sure this is an easy one for some of you X4/787 nuts out there!

Thanks!
    Check wear ring clearance and for damage.

4. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Braley View Post
    Yes it is an easy one. Lets start with super easy in case you luck out. First make sure that your carbon seal is still pressed up against your Stainless ring on the drive shaft. Give your pto boot a couple pumps of grease if you haven't recently. The accordian boot looses a little spring tension over the years and you can loosen up the rear clamp on the through hull and slide everything forward half an inch and then re tighten the clamp. Now you should have a good seal there.

If that does not change things then your wear ring needs to be replaced. Not quite as easy but very doable and you can change your pump oil while your in there.
    I am new to seadoos but not new to working with machines and tools. Luckily when I bought the machine last year I just kind of took everything apart in the rear and figured out how to change the wear ring and impeller without any guidance or help lol.... took me about 5 hours to change everythign successfully but I figured it out... lol. I will definitely check for damage to my wear ring and if it is damaged it won't be so hard to change a 2nd time around.

Also, I know what the carbon seal is and I know where the stainless ring is on the drive shaft.

Couple questions though, the pto boot is the one on the engine where the drive shaft connects to right? What/where is the accordian boot. Not currently at my ski right now.

Thanks for your help.

Ok so I just checked my wear ring and 1 season late NOT EVEN A SCRATCH. Its perfect still. Anyways,

I took a picture of my driveshaft, the carbon ring is pressed up against the stainless ring on the drive shaft. I will give my PTO boot a couple pumps of grease when I go to my dads and get the grease gun.

What is the accordian boot!!! lol I have a picture attached. Does everything look good? I have eliminated the wear ring issue. Has to be something else.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3321.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	306661

ALSO, do I need synthetic grease or is normal grease fine?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    The accordion boot is that black bubbly rubber to the right of the carbon seal between the two hose clamps. That carbon seal won't have scratches it just widens when the drive shaft spins on the carbon and will suck air. Also check your seal between the pump and the hull. That tends to suck air too. Normal or synthetic grease is fine

Ok, I will do all of that you just said listed above, BUT I have more detail for those who can figure this one out. I don't think its any seal problem because it comes and goes?

I rode my seadoo again today. I rode it for 20min, relaxed at the beach, let a friend ride it for 15 min, he came back, we hung out for a while, I took it for a 10minute ride somewhere else, ran fine, then we went to move again and it wouldn't go.

If I pressed the throttle full out while going slow, it would just rev very hard but not going fast at all. The only way to get it to move fast was to slowly increase the throttle until I got up to full speed. If i Just slammed the throttle it would just rev very hard and not let go. I feel like something is not catching?

This has to be a bit more help to some of you. I feel like its not that hard of an issue but I'm surely no expert on seadoos.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I'm wondering if the drive shaft splines are stripped or possibly the pto where the drive shaft goes into the back of the motor. Check the pump, prop, wearing, pump seal and carbon ring before pulling the pump to inspect the drive shaft. Or just pull it all.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    I'm wondering if the drive shaft splines are stripped or possibly the pto where the drive shaft goes into the back of the motor. Check the pump, prop, wearing, pump seal and carbon ring before pulling the pump to inspect the drive shaft. Or just pull it all.
    This is a tricky one because when it would not GO if i slammed the throttle, I slowly increase it until it got up to top speed, and from there it ran fine. I could then be moving slow and slam the throttle and it would work.

IM SO CONFUSED.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information