Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

DFW lakes review

I looked around and did not see any recent information on the lakes around dfw. Since I am new to the sport and lakes in general, seems a useful topic.

here is what little I know:

lake grapevine, small, fun, choppy. Hanging at north beach is fun but have to watch bigger boats getting too close to you and getting into your anchor line. The only ramp I have tried is Katie woods. Nice long ramp for two, not too steep. $5 launch fee. Kind of busy at times, adequate parking unless holiday. No dock able restaurants that I could see.

Eagle Mountain lake, large, fun, glass water in far north end and coves. Put in at Harbor One, very steep, limited parking, $20 launch fee. Both ramp and price much too steep. The is a place to eat there, but no where to tie up near restaurant. Limited loading ramp. I do not recommend this as launch point. The ramp is super steep and slippery, and the fee is ridiculous. Need to find new launch, hoping this thread will help me there. The no wake zone is very long, but the ramp seems very protected against wind if that is important. I saw lots of other ramps to try and several restaurant bar type places to eat.

+1
    Lake lavon

I have launched at Tickey Creek a few times. Four wide free ramp. Cannot compare the lake to any others.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    the brazos river is excellent to ride when the waters up .last time out its about 5-6 ft down.joe pool is always choppy on the weekends from all the traffic.boat ramps are good.has the oasis restaurant to eat.couple beaches.

+1
    That is useful info, and I will certainly book mark that one.

Still hoping for more here as well. Where do you put in, what is the best ramp at any area lake you have been to or frequent type data. What to avoid, how low is the body of water, etc.

Thanks for the responses so far, let's keep it going. I know we have several active members in this area.

Does anyone know if Twin Points is still open in Eagle Mountain lake? I see it listed in TP&W site but have read different things around the internet. I will not be going to look for at least a week.

+1
    Thanks for the plug, J. Guys, feel free to submit a new trail or report anytime.

i like going out on lewsville during the week days, at stewart crrek in the colony. its a good little cove fun to play in and a place to eat and tie up at pier 121 marina and usually not that many people. getting out of the cove is a about half a mile but its well worth it depending on wind direction

What Wayneb said about Lewisville. Stewart Creek a good put in. Ray Roberts is good at the state park, nice ramp. If you go often enough, buy an annual pass. Main body of lake gets very choppy with much wind. Party cove is nice, good people, but loud radios on boats. (I'm old, sue me lol) Long bay/cove to east of state park ramp gets a little busy but fairly good water. But the good water is 1.5 hrs north of Dallas at Lake Murray St. Park just south of Ardmore, Okla off I-35. CLEAN, clear, green water. Lake gets a lil busy but awesome water. Just be careful there when water is low, look for rocks way out off of points.

+1
    ive been on quite a few of the DFW area lakes, here and there, mostly with a boat, but kind of new to the watercraft scene.

I usually ride out at lake lavon, mainly because its close to my house, and its not as busy as other lakes. today its currently about 8.5 feet down, which generally means theres no docks available. the one that is available is old and crappy. when the lake is up though, it can be a fun lake. I usually put in at East Fork, on the south side, there are two ramps, one protected.

Lake Ray Hubbard, I havent really been out on that lake in the main body of water, but it seems to be a big sailboat and powerboat lake. I hear that Chandlers landing is nice, and they get a good party cove going. its currently 3-4 feet low. They keep it up due to the power plant. Most of the boat ramps are accessed near main roads or freeways, so can get busy. (one reason, I usually dont go out there) The north end of the lake is heavliy wooded, so I dont have any plans to go up into that area.

Lewisville, well what can I say. its a busy place, and I think that you have to know the lake, or at least know where to go. Sneaky petes is a fun stop off for burgers if so inclined. I've had some good times back up in the hickory creek arm of the lake,

Ray Roberts, I think at least, is one of the prettiest North Texas lakes, theres eagles nests, and great fishing, and a rocky bottom. ive never been out on that lake with a jetski, but wouldnt mind to tour that lake. The northern ends can be pretty woodsy though, and there are boat lane markers in places, so keep an eye out.

ive only ever been out on Tawakoni, and Fork, for fishing..

What do you guys think is the Areas Most Watercraft Friendly lake???
    I really wish there was a regional race circuit on the lakes around North Texas.. Theres plenty of space on the main lakes, and plenty of riders.. I just dont get it..

+1
    im also on a 2 stroke with only 15 gallons of gas.. and I haul ass almost every second, so I really only have about 1-2 maybe 3 hours to tear it up.. that can be a few circuits around the lake, or 30 minutes to an hour of choppin it up in a cove, or somewhere im out of the way of most people..

ive often thought about just grabbing some bouys, and throwing them out for a makeshift course, and seeing who shows up..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information