Newbie with a 2000 Virage

HI
    I am pretty new to pwc's.I have messed with snowmobiles and have 2 Polaris 4 wheelers.I like Polaris for some reason.I had picked up a 93 750 sx stand up a year ago for 500 bucks.After having it and can not get the wife to try it.i had decided to look for a sit down for her.Well a month back I found a Polaris virage 2000 700cc for 800 bucks.It had 68 hours and kept inside.He had messed with the carb and oil injection.Said there was a leak in oil res?It ran but not right.After looking at it and telling me he had a service manual.I took it home.
    First inspection.Clean, except for a good amount of oil in hull.he had blocked oil line right of the carb and had line off pump laying in the hull.The pump cable was taken off.Well there was the oil leak.
    I then pumped out old gas and put fresh in.It seemed to run fine but kinda of doggy.I then jumped into the carb and it looked clean except for small specs.He had also left the screw out that holds the plate down with the jets.Being my fist pwc carb take apart it was not that bad.The low idle speed needle looked lik the plating on the end was removed some or coming off.Not sure if this would do much.
    I then took it back out and it ran a little better.I then read the manual and it said check compression.I should have.The rear cylinger was like 45 and the other 130 something.Well I thought no big deal I have done 2 stokes before.I then tore into it ,taking the head cover off I noticed a lot of carbon.Then I started taking off the head bolts and they were not tight like they should be.I took the head off and half the 0-ring was gone.After cleaning it all up I noticed that the head was washed from leaking and the head ring had a crack were a head bolt goes?This is what I think started the leak.
    I got on ebay and got a good used head and ring and ordered all my gaskets from SBT.The cylinder and piston looked great so I put it back together and it comp check almost the same as the other one.
    It was a noticeable difference in power.I then went to reset the idle and time the oil pump.Going buy the gauge it looks like 1350 rpm and full throttle 6400 0r 6500.pushing right at or tad under 50.
    Been riding it a lot!It does seem like it is not getting enough gas when you punch it.Kinda bogs and even dies when cold.I have yet to foul it.The plugs look good not lean.So now I think I am going to buy a used carb maybe or replace the needle slow speed screw.i was also thinking of putting new jets in.The slots are kinda buggered.Any input would be great!i really want to keep this,it is a good ski to hual kids on!Very stable!
    Now I want a Virage tx!
    Any way after reading your posts I thought this woud be the forum for me.

Newbie with polaris virage

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-30_06-41-49_560.jpg 
Views:	1992 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	306768Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-30_06-41-59_920.jpg 
Views:	2959 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	306769Hi
    I just got into jet ski's.I picked up a 2000 Polaris virage 700 with 68 hours for 800 dollars and trailer.I have had to do some work to it.The gut I got it from messed with a lot of stuff and missed the real problem.
    I did too for a while.The guy blocked oil injection to carb and took off the cable to the pump.pump line laying in the hull.He then mixed gas?Also he had taken the carb apart.I found one missing screw that held the jet block down and that he had replace the needle valve arm and spring.he had kept the old parts so I installed what I think are the original arm and spring.The arm in it was way low.The old one was right on from what the book said.
    I took it out and it ran ,but I did not think it was right.I then got it home and checked compression the rear was 45 and the other 130 something.So I took the head off to see.I had found that the head 0 ring had failed.He had been running it so long that head had was marks.Also the head ring had a crack were the head bolt goes through.
    Order a used one from ebay and got gaskets from SBT.Slapped it back together and compression is good and everythin else looked good.I then went riding to get it warmed up to set the idle and retime the oil pump.
    Anyway have rode it a lot and idles at about 1350 from what I can tell from the gauge and full throttle is 6400 to 6500.Speed 50 sometimes right under.
    It has hesitation off idle?Like it starves for fuel?I have yet to flood it.It worse when cold.I did notice that the slow speed air screw was not perfect.Like thers was plating on it that was missing.Not sure if this would cause a problem?Other than that it runs fine.I was thinking of buying a good used carb?
    I really like this ski for the fact that it is very stable for hauling kids and seems fairly easy to work on. I am also thinking of buying a virage tx,something with more power.Any input would be great about the 700 or about things to look for on a TX or other better Polaris jet ski.
    Last edited by japhunter; 07-14-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    Sounds like the carb just needs a little tuning. No need to buy a different carb.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by japhunter View Post
    I really like this ski for the fact that it is very stable for hauling kids and seems fairly easy to work on. I am also thinking of buying a virage tx,something with more power.

Any input would be great about the 700 or about things to look for on a TX or other better Polaris jet ski.
    See my signature links for common maintenance info. Do not over look maintaining the drive line and jet pump.

The Virage is a nice hull design. Once you get everything tuned up, and inspect and service the other stuff, you will have a machine that is fun to ride and capable of providing years of fun.

If you have any need for more passenger capacity there is a four passenger version called the Genesis. Same engine and mechanical stuff, just a little longer and wider.

I read the stickys and in there it said don't buy 1/4 fuel injection lines?That was all I could get.So do I need to buy so different hose? Also should you use hose clamps?I also added a fuel filter.

I am going through a bunch of stuff on the Polaris freedom I just bought. For clamps I am going with the Oetiker clamps, also known as stepless ear clamps. If you can find a micro clamp that is good quality it may be just fine. All I could find locally was some that are ranged 1/4 through 5/8. By the time you get them down to size they really do not provide even pressure. Not sure about the deal with fuel injection line. For the low speed screw, with any damage at all I would say replace it and set it to factory specs and tune from there.

+1
    I read the stickys and in there it said don't buy 1/4 fuel injection lines? That was all I could get.So do I need to buy so different hose? Also should you use hose clamps?

I also added a fuel filter.
    Added a fuel filter? Was there none before?

The deal with the reinforced fuel line intended for 'fuel injection' high pressures is that it is more expensive and generally stiffer hose than necessary. 'Regular' reinforced fuel hose is plenty strong enough. As long as you can get it installed properly and leak proof at every connection, it should not cause trouble.

I do not like using nylon zip ties for fuel hoses. The reinforced fuel hose is thicker walls so real hose clamps are needed to actually apply compression to the hose and create leak proof connections. You need the fuel system to be air tight and stay that way despite engine heat, vibration, and aging/shrinkage of the hose material over the next few years.

The Oetiker type stepless Ear clamps are an excellent hose clamp method. These clamps develop a springlike compression all the way around the hose and it will actually tighten slightly as the hose shrinks with age. Gear clamps do not, and sometimes gear clamps actually loosen with vibration.

There was no filter except for the so called one in the separator!
    If I stay with Polaris PWC's should I go the distance and get a pop off tester and when did they go to fuel injection?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I read the stickys and in there it said don't buy 1/4 fuel injection lines? That was all I could get.So do I need to buy so different hose? Also should you use hose clamps?

I also added a fuel filter.
    Added a fuel filter? Was there none before?

The deal with the reinforced fuel line intended for 'fuel injection' high pressures is that it is more expensive and generally stiffer hose than necessary. 'Regular' reinforced fuel hose is plenty strong enough. As long as you can get it installed properly and leak proof at every connection, it should not cause trouble.

I do not like using nylon zip ties for fuel hoses. The reinforced fuel hose is thicker walls so real hose clamps are needed to actually apply compression to the hose and create leak proof connections. You need the fuel system to be air tight and stay that way despite engine heat, vibration, and aging/shrinkage of the hose material over the next few years.

The Oetiker type stepless Ear clamps are an excellent hose clamp method. These clamps develop a springlike compression all the way around the hose and it will actually tighten slightly as the hose shrinks with age. Gear clamps do not, and sometimes gear clamps actually loosen with vibration.

+1
    The carb guys do find the pop-off testing to be a useful thing.

Polaris started selling both carburetor and fuel injection starting with the Genesis FFI model in 1999. During 2000-2004 the Virage, Genesis and in 2003 the MSX 140 were all available fuel injected. Some carb models were still being sold in 2004.

I was looking at these clamps called (oetiker ).Can they be reused and do you need the tool.Never been around them.

Thread Information