Reeds? Good or bad?

Wife's boat is a 2002 freedom 700 and since I bought it there has been a major bogging issue that I have been dealing with. It takes a little work to get it to start and as soon as throttle is applied it dies. When I do get it to take off it will do about 10 mph for some time and then will finally take off but reach a top speed of about 30 mph. Cylinder compression is about 127 on both cylinders. At first I thought it was a rich oil ratio, now being premixed at 50:1, then maybe a coil because rear plug is always getting fuel soaked, new coil no change, now I have pulled the reed cages out and there looks like they have about a fingernail sized gap across all of the rings. Can this be causing my issue? I have heard that any gap is bad, is this true? When throttle is applied there is a "bwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh" (sorry!) sound that is coming from the the carb area. I'm sure that it is time to replace the reeds anyway but what next if that doesn't work because vacation is coming up real soon? I am thinking fuel pop-off pressure maybe because I am unsure if the carb was replaced when the engine was. Carb is really clean so that is why I question if it was replaced and if so maybe the needle spring was never set. Sorry for being so long winded but trying to cover all of the bases! Thanks for your patience!

+1
    personally I do not like to see any gap at the reed petals. This "could" allow part of your fuel/air mix to go back up into the intake tract when your piston travels down to BDC.

Your bogging problem could be partially from this, or any other fuel related issue.

your carb may be in need of a rebuild (even if it appears clean, diaphragms, and check valves wear, and go bad)
    you may have a bad fuel select switch.
    dirty fuel filter
    poor quality fuel
    air leak in the motor some where ( crank seals, cyl base gasket, intake gaskets, etc)

Does your machine run better if you pull the choke?

your problem could also be a weak spark issue. This is not uncommon with the 700 engines.
    Last edited by K447; 07-15-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Petals

It dies if you choke it. I am replacing the reeds and fuel lines and am am going to make sure that fuel shutoff and check valves are clean. Gonna try to check for air leaks by spraying starter fluid around intake manifold, cylinder base and head gaskets and at crankshaft seals. How is the best way to check for weak spark? Both plugs fire and the front plug is always dry and tan/brown when I pull them but rear is always fuel/oil wet. I've replaced the coil already. How can I test the stator?

85 miles West of DFW South enterance 76462

Try propane

Quote Originally Posted by magnum View Post
    It dies if you choke it. I am replacing the reeds and fuel lines and am am going to make sure that fuel shutoff and check valves are clean. Gonna try to check for air leaks by spraying starter fluid around intake manifold, cylinder base and head gaskets and at crankshaft seals. How is the best way to check for weak spark? Both plugs fire and the front plug is always dry and tan/brown when I pull them but rear is always fuel/oil wet. I've replaced the coil already. How can I test the stator?
    Rather than haze your engine paint try propane, unscrew the nozzle and attach a hose to neck then you can probe tight spots accurately. Just crack the valve so you can hear a slight hiss when placing close to you ear. Of course NO Smoking!!

Start fluid has ether which might damage you engine, propane has an octane rating of 100+ but lower BTU's so less chance of a problem. Propane a CNG are terrific fuels, engine generators use them and start reliably after sitting for months.

Banned User
    +1
    Have you physically disassembled the carbs and cleaned/rebuilt them? Verify proper settings? This is what you should do first. There is an internal filter in the carbs that can be plugged. Verify your fuel shut off flows properly and shuts off fuel flow when you turn it off. Clean out the water separator. Get all of that in order first.

Thread Information