Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

GPR taking on water

I have a leak somewhere. After riding for half an hour enough water accumulates inside the hull that it begins to get sucked into the rear carb and chokes the cylinder out.(I have Riva flame arrestors)The stock vacuum bilge is hooked up but is worthless. Nothing obvious like the water lines seem to be leaking. This started right around when I installed a Solas prop. I was stupid and didn't replace the impeller seal. Its it possible to leak water in there? Is it possibly to leak water in through the jet pump housing? I used silicone instead of 4200 to seal it to the transom plate. I know, stupid. Was in a rush and that's all I had on hand. Anything else obvious to check?

UH, hope you didnt bent a connecting rod sucking in water. You might want to check your jetworks mod or other area which may be dumping water inside the hull. Check all hosts and clamps. Check for cracks in the hull inside the jet pump.

Check the bilge plugs in the rear. Both should have good O-Rings. Does it fill with water while running on the hose? Always RUN the engine while on the hose.

Of course what you mentinoed above is also an excelent starting point.

+1
    Did you in any way interfere with the SS tube in the venturi when you were installing your impeller?

+1
    My guess is it's probably leaking from the coupler. They rot from the outside in. Did you have trouble getting the pump off when you had to change the impeller? did the drive shaft splines look rusty?

+1
    And check your plastic nut for your steering and trim cables they come loose I've had it happen twice just move your nozzle back and forth while looking at them you will know if the are

+1
    Good suggestions guys. I just don't want to tear unnecessary stuff apart. No I didn't bend a connecting rod lol. Once I cleared the water out the ski revs fine.

Which coupler? The rubber hose visible when you remove the battery tray that the driveshaft passes through? Pump and driveshaft came right out. Impeller was a bitch to get off the shaft but other than that I had no issues.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Did you in any way interfere with the SS tube in the venturi when you were installing your impeller?
    I do remember the driveshaft was a bitch go get back in. Took me several tries. Maybe I banged up the tube?

+1
    Jetworks is bypassed right now. Still tuning the ski so I wanted to eliminate extra stuff.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by silver93t View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    I do remember the driveshaft was a bitch go get back in. Took me several tries. Maybe I banged up the tube?
    First off, if the pump is hard to pull and reinstall, there is a good chance that the pump itself is out of alignment and eventually you could loose an intermediate shaft.

The Yamaha siphon system is designed to draw water out of the hull by pulling a vacume using the thrust of the pump to create the venturi effect. If the tube is bent or cut or removed, then the pump can actually pump water backwards into the hull. Tie your GPR down onto the trailer, start the engine and check if water is coming out of the bilge when you rev the engine. Mean while, check other connections for leaks.

+1
    you know how I find leaks? tilt the ski back put the plugs in and fill it with the garden hose. see where it's coming out from. You have to put a lot of water in there. The coupler I'm talking about is the aluminum piece that is right behind the motor under a plastic shield. Theres 2 aluminum flanges and a rubber dampener. You can take the shield off and put the ski in the water and see if water is leaking between the 2 couplers. I'd start with fill the ski with the garden hose though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information