Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mpls Minnesota
    Posts
    19

    Precationary modification

    Guy's I have not one but two ski's with the 951 running the oil injection pumps. The horror stories have me convinced I need to switch to premix. The question is how BEST to do this? Remove the supply line to the pump and be done with it (premixing of course) OR digging in and removing all the pumps mechanics? Also, seems like 40:1 is the best ratio?


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Garland, Tx
    Posts
    256
    +1
    12
    I've been told by very experienced and reputable people that the oil pump itself is usually not a problem. Are your skis carb'd or fuel injextion?

  3. +1 by:


  4. #3
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Posts
    6,004
    +1
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBrainerd View Post
    Guy's I have not one but two ski's with the 951 running the oil injection pumps. The horror stories have me convinced I need to switch to premix. The question is how BEST to do this? Remove the supply line to the pump and be done with it (premixing of course) OR digging in and removing all the pumps mechanics? Also, seems like 40:1 is the best ratio?
    If you insist on going premix you have to take out the driveshaft behind the oil pump. Otherwise you can damage the stator and pickup if it destroys itself. After that loop the oil lines that go to the carbs between each other. You can leave the pump but it will burn up and may lockup and shatter the plastic driveshaft.

  5. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mpls Minnesota
    Posts
    19
    Both are carbed and are running perfectly right now. Why would the pump destroy itself? I've heard of folks crimping the line and running premix (leaving the pump in tact) and it looks like the 99 GTX has the pump pretty buried..

    Thanks for the help!

  6. #5
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Posts
    6,004
    +1
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBrainerd View Post
    Both are carbed and are running perfectly right now. Why would the pump destroy itself? I've heard of folks crimping the line and running premix (leaving the pump in tact) and it looks like the 99 GTX has the pump pretty buried..

    Thanks for the help!
    The pump is self lubricating. When the bearing that is turning is not oiled it burns up

  7. #6
    If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas/Waxahachie
    Posts
    2,340
    +1
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman150 View Post
    I've been told by very experienced and reputable people that the oil pump itself is usually not a problem. Are your skis carb'd or fuel injextion?
    Been riding since 96 and have Never seen an oil injection pump fail,....The lines themselves dry rot and crumble
    DONT remove it i think you'll regret it

  8. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mpls Minnesota
    Posts
    19
    What could I do to make sure it all works? It looks like the lines are in good shape but....

  9. #8
    wotxxxsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    3,928
    +1
    472
    Replace the lines every 2 years to be safe.
    I always added a little bit of 2 stroke oil to the gas tank even with an oil injected ski.
    I know its going to smoke a little more but I never burnt and engine up due to the lack of oil.
    Yes I did have a oil line POP off and I was able to catch it in time before she locked up.
    I always think that little extra oil saved me..

  10. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Garland, Tx
    Posts
    256
    +1
    12
    just, think, of how many 2 strokes are out there with oil injection on them.. and how many times you have personally witnessed one blow up because of an oil injection issue... i think the fears are unfounded, if the equipment is in good working order.. oil pump, hoses, filters, bled properly, etc..

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mpls Minnesota
    Posts
    19
    Thanks guys. The motor is new so I think i'll go with the pump on the 99 gtx. The other is an 800 xp (sorry, I though I had a 951 in that ski too).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Modifications and Warranty
    By skwiggey in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 10:34 AM
  2. pump modification
    By jeremy in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 02:10 PM
  3. stock air box modifications-what?
    By Pale Rider in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-04-2005, 09:27 PM
  4. Reverse Bucket Modification??
    By PMart317 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-14-2005, 09:29 PM
  5. First Modifications
    By skatedork in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 12:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •