Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

newbie 96 wave raider

Im new to the pwc world i just bought my first ski and its a 1996 waveraider 1100. As far as i know this thing is in great shape and hasnt given me any problems knock on wood other quiting one time while cruising about 45 but started right back up any idea on what that could be. It only has 85 hours which i think is ok. what are things i should watch out for and keep a close eye and how hard is this thing to work on thanks for any help.

has it been sitting? did it sit with bad fuel in it? I had a similar problem at first with bad fuel. new fuel lines, filters, cleaned tank, cleaned carbs and put new diaphrams in them. ran like a beast, then started to just shut off at full throttle, turned out I just had a bad killswitch. let me know what's up

As far as i know it hasnt been sitting i got it off an older gentlemen who lived on the Tn river and kept it in his shed rode it enough that is wasnt sitting much. From what i can tell everything is good im gonna ride it through the summer and hope for no problems and look into rebuilding the carbs and jet pump if it isnt to technical. 87 hours doesnt seem bad to me either.

+1
    Mine cut out like that a few times before it burnt a hole in #2 piston. I would pull the plugs and see if you are running lean.

how will I know if its running lean

Compression tested 120 on all cylinders took it out after work today ran strong hope it was just a one time thing

+1
    Check all small oil injection tubing or just replace it with some new 3/32 Tygon from the auto parts store. Those are known to pop off and ruin your day. Not hard to work on compared to newer machines. Learn the handling on that ski very well before blasting around wot and showing off. The Raiders have an annoying tendancy of "coming loose" at speeds and kicking out and pitching you off. A good intake grate and ride plate will almost put a stop to that craziness.

+1
    Plugs should be a dark brown. If they are lean they will be whitish.

+1
    Definitely do what Myself said in post #8. Replace those oil injection lines with new hose and new clamps. I didn't like the idea of using nylon cable ties so I spent the money on Oetiker clamps and the special clamp tool. I've Oetiker clamps to replumb four skis now so I'm getting my money's worth out of the tool. In any case, change out those old oil lines assuming it's still oil injected.

BTW, very nice, clean looking ski!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information