Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Issue with a MSX 110

Need an opinion on a MSX 110. Riding today, runs just like its brand new not a problem. Runin around 4900-5000 and just like u snapped a switch it lost a good bit of power no rpm lose just 5 mph speed. It now makes a sound canít explain the way its sounds. It sounds like a load blowin sound but there are no leaks. Idle is normal 1500 like its has always been, so no ETB leak. Also took seat off, ran up to 5500-6000 on take off wastegate arm just chatters and moves 1/16 then back to normal idle position just back and forth really fast. No consistenet open. U really canít even tell it moves. Arm is not stuck moves like its been since new. Still runs great below 4000 anything above that and that blowin sound starts up and gets worse as ur rpm goes up. No sign of this coming, it was runnin great, no weird sounds or any power lose. That loud blowin sound started and the power went away. U have to have 5500- 6000 rpm to plane now, instead of 4700. Once on top and just cruisin there isnít a huge power lose, its just taking off. There are no weird sounds from the turbo it was spooling up perfect all day. I didnít keep tryin it I was worried I would damage somthin.My Question is what would happen if the wastegate will not open?I can test the wastegate acutator it should be positive psi instead of vac bein Negative correct?I do have the dealer MSX polaris manual.Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Does your ski have the upgraded waste gate solenoid? It would be grey in color and attached to the top of the engine on a metal bracket coming off the top just above the turbo. The line going to the wastegate solenoid will be under boost when you have the engine going faster. With the wastegate not seeming like it is moving very much, I think you are getting an overboost reduction in power. Yes the solenoid should open and close when you provide current to it, however, it must also be able to do this when you have pressure coming in from the line coming from the turbo. Check to see that the valve can open while putting 16psi (I would use 20psi to be safe, a proper working solenoid should still be able to open up to around 35 psi of pressure.) of pressure onto it.

If the solenoid checks out okay, you may have a cracked hose in the wastegate actuator plumbing? I saw this on my ski where at full throttle, the wastegate arm did not seem to be moving very far. I checked the hoses and they seemed okay, but I did not have a hose clamp on the nipple of the wastegate actuator itself. Clamped that tight and now she runs tip top shape. Hope this helps.

Wish you luck!

+1
    Dang... just gave you my expert opinion (haha) in a writeup... only to then re-read your Title which says you have an MSX 110... not a 150. I was thinking it sounded like your BOV is leaking. But the 110 doesn't have a BOV... so sounds like a hose leak that leaks under high boost. I've had these before. Usually you can see where the hose has slipped off a hard pipe and the clamp isn't holding.

Another possibility could be a split or tear in one of the rubber hoses. These are tough to find sometimes and will only leak under boost too usually.

Cheers!

No, the wastegate sol. is stock. Its black. First problem i have had with this ski. No parts replaced, guess its gettin that time to start doin some repairs. I checked the acutator just a quick test. took a piece of hose, blowed in it and hand pushed the gate open and needle nosed the hose shut. the acutator held open whole time, till i realesed the pliers and it shut. im thinkin that solonid is the prob, or some leak possible somewhere. The solonoid is open while it is sitting. I can blow threw the hose and the solonoid and come out in the compresor. i messed with it a little while all the big 2" or 3" lines are out they look good. i can see better now there out of the way. i'm gonna go over it some more check those quick clamps, make sure there not lose. What was the diffrence in the gray and black sol?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
    What was the diffrence in the gray and black sol?
    See this thread... read this post and the few after it about the solenoids
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2175663

Nutshell: old style, prone to fail. Polaris sourced better designed newer one and put out a TSB to recommend replacing the older style ones.

When the old one fails... it can fail only under boost. So you can put 12v to it and click it on/off all day and it'll seem like it's okay... until it's actually under boost and then it can stick on or off. Stuck "on"... would be the powered position... venting source pressure to raise boost level. This will cause an overboost condition real quick... as boost way overshoots and ECU can't stop it. Limp mode will happen... indicator light will start flashing. Stuck "off" would be the unpowered position... sending boost pressure to the wastegate actuator. This will send all pressure to the actuator and you'll likely end up with only about 6psi max boost... since the ECU can't work the stuck solenoid to raise boost any higher. This won't trigger an overboost... nor any flashing lights. But you won't reach max RPMs (need full boost for that) or max speed.

Cheers!

+1
    I totally agree with Ripcuda . It sounds like you have a hose leak somewhere; it happened to me once . i was getting about the same rpms therefore couldnt get the max speed http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=179270

All lines and hoses reinstalled and tightened. I'll just have to go and try it see if i get the same problem i had before. The left big hose, the hose clamps weren't sucked down into the rubber like the other side. Guess i'll go to the updated sol. if it runs the same as before. I don't know that i was ever limited on rpms, i just didn't wanna rev to high with the way it sounded and the way it was runnin. is there a set RPM the gate opens on or does the ECU just control when it needs to? I was just wonderin while i had the seat off what RPM i need to run up to to see if it will open.

U guys are gonna be right on the leak, haven't rode it yet. Forgot all about that fuel press reg line on the intake manifold. It has dry rot cracks from one end to the other. Bet cracks are opening up when it boosts up. I broke the OEtiker clamps in pieces, those things work great once installed. Do they make gear clamps in the size of those boost lines?

To my knowledge they do not make gear clamps the size for those boost hoses. They do have little spring clamps available in that size that you just pinch with a pair of pliers to put on, but I never really liked those. I fixed my clamping issue on one of those small hoses with a small zip tie. I think the best solution though is to replace it with the same style of clamp it originally had.

+1
    You guys are correct; The early style solenoid was updated with a newer style. This kit was made for Polaris & relocates the updated solenoid to a better location. Be sure to install it correctly, as its easy to put the hoses in the wrong location. http://www.weberpower.com/electrical...epair-kit.html

I have at least 200 lbs. of Oetiker clamps in stock.. You can also purchase them at McMaster-Carr.
    I love this style clamp, as it secures the hose, but doesn't overtighten it. The individual clamps are cheap.. The small ones are .38Ę each.
    I offer a "master-kit" that gives you various sizes, then you can re-order individuals from the number stamped into the clamp. http://www.weberpower.com/parts-webe...er-clamps.html

I have some larger clamps that might fit the larger hoses also, they are used for throttle bodies but are adjustable. http://www.weberpower.com/parts-thro...se-clamps.html

Regards,
    Weberpower

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information