Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yamaha FZR 2011 - Hull Paint Delaminating

Hi Ladies/ Gents,

I have a question regarding my FZR 2011, my ski is in immaculate condition with only 40hrs (its a baby) and I noticed that right where the hall meets the intake grate the paint has started to flake away/peel.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Anyone had a similar problem?

Its definitely not something I have hit because where it's started happening is right up high in the intake grate, it would be extremely hard for something to hit my ski that high in the hull. Plus I baby my ski and never abuse it.

Its got a R&D intake grate and ride plate that was installed by a yamaha dealer.

Its still under 3 year yamaha warranty. Just want to know if anyone has experienced the same before I go show my yamaha dealer.

Cheers in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130715_182924.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	306776   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130715_182933.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	306775  
    Last edited by NISSAN_200; 07-18-2013 at 11:55 PM.

+1
    I've had cracks in my FZ hull but I never saw the finish delaminate like this. It looks like a cosmetic issue since the NanoXcel appears to be intact. It looks like this area wasn't prepped correctly prior to painting. I doubt Yamaha will do anything about it.

Thanks for the info pro1200, anyone else have any idea?

Cheers!

showed my yamaha dealer my ski and he had a look underneath, he said that could have happened from hitting something.

I said if I hit something strong enough to damage/peel the black skin of paint no doubt it would leave a gash or scratch in the NanoXcel hull for us to see.

He said he will refer it to yamaha warranty and see what they say about it. He said I possibly hit something to just leave stress cracks in the black paint, then over time with salt & water got into the cracks and peeled it away.

Honestly is that how soft the black yamaha paint is on the NanoXcel hull? I am a little shocked as I know I haven't hit anything, I baby my ski around.

+1
    I'd say poor prep and that the coat didn't bond too well to the area. There are people out there with hulls scratched to hell and their paint isn't doing anything of the sort. Things like this do happen though and sometimes things are missed.

+1
    I agree with others. Two pack over poly? product is always going to be fussy about prep. It's either a case of poor prep or contamination in the factory after prep before painting.

I've got some scratches in the forefoot of the black ski. A couple I filled with black epoxy, the rest were dealt with using willpower - stop crawling under it and taking a look!

chrs jc

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NISSAN_200 View Post
    showed my yamaha dealer my ski and he had a look underneath, he said that could have happened from hitting something.

I said if I hit something strong enough to damage/peel the black skin of paint no doubt it would leave a gash or scratch in the NanoXcel hull for us to see.

He said he will refer it to yamaha warranty and see what they say about it. He said I possibly hit something to just leave stress cracks in the black paint, then over time with salt & water got into the cracks and peeled it away.

Honestly is that how soft the black yamaha paint is on the NanoXcel hull? I am a little shocked as I know I haven't hit anything, I baby my ski around.
    Isn't it funny how it is always the owner's fault??? I got the same kind of response when I found the cracked pump tunnel on my FZR. Yamaha has got a serious cover up going on with the poor durability of these hulls.

+1
    Yep myn is doing the same thing but further back near in the tunnel looks exactly the same.I think its bad preparation.I sanded the edge of it down and put some sikaflex on it (same stuff I sealed the grate on with and it has stoped it spreading.My ski has 38hrs and it in new condition other than this.I ride in the river no salt.

+1
    Honestly I wouldn't rely on the dealer for results. I'd contact Yamaha directly. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Being an ol bodyman, to me it looks like bad prep. May not been thoroughly cleaned of mold release before paint.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information