Seadoo gtx ltd di 2002

Hi Guys.
    Im looking for help on my seadoo gtx di 2002.

It is totally standard and runs lovely in the water from past idle to as fast as it can go - but it is a little bit lumpy idleing. I was wondering if any of you US guts can point me in the direction of some things to check?

It has done 55 hours and is immaculate. It uses correct fuel & oil, ive just replaced the plugs, it has a brand new battery. Nothing more I can say really. Just a bit lumpy!

Any help much appreciated.

Dan

What are the RPM's at when it is idling? Does it stall when idling? Have you checked the intake grille / pump for any weeds, debris, etc?

I have a 2000 GTX DI that did this for years, anything above idle speed it worked flawlessly but after 10-15 seconds at idle it would start to cough and sputter and you'd have to give it a tap of the throttle or it would stall out. The problem started happening around 2003 (I bought it new in 2000) but never got any worse, I just got used to tapping it once in a while when at idle to keep it running. This summer I finally had to put a wrench on it, and it turns out that the air output from my compressor is low. Anything above idle and it keeps the fuel rail pressurized properly, however at idle speeds the air pressure drops, fuel is no longer injected properly and within seconds it stops running. Apart from all the obvious things (spark plugs, good quality fuel, fully charged battery, most of which it looks like you've already covered, a no-cost check that I'd suggest would be to look for cracked or leaking air hoses, particularly the plastic black tube from the compressor to the solenoid mounted on the side of the engine compartment. In the troubleshooting guide section of the Service Manual, in the section marked "Engine stalls when idling" the only possible cause it lists is the air compressor. I'm not saying this is the only thing it might be, but that's where I would start looking.

Cube

Hi Cube. You know one of these days I am actually going to record the idle rpm's and top speed rpms ! I forget every single time. Pointless noting it on the hose I suppose?
    No it has never stalled. It's not that bad , just seams to mis or something now and again.
    Just looked at the grille & pump again. Its all nice and clear. Maybe i'll have a nose around the compressor and pipes for leaks.

If I remember correctly, my 2000 GTX DI idles at 1,440 and tops out at 6,650 on calm water. I've got about 220 hours on it now and have only [this year] had to start wrenching on it. I have always been careful to fog it and never used anything but Seadoo XPS-DI (and subsequently) BRP XPS-II oil. The only thing now is that at WOT, it starts to drop a few hundred RPM now and then. I went through some basic troubleshooting and found that it runs great on the rear cylinder (pulls out of the hole and can get up to speed pretty quickly - then purrs along,) but on the front cylinder it sputters and misses. Both cylinders are exactly 125 PSI. I was originally thinking fuel / injectors / air, but after reading some posts on here where another fellow had some of the exact same issues, his experience had me check the coils before doing anything on the fuel rail. I measured and found the bottom (MAG) ignition coil is failing. When I tried to meter them, from the high side to ground I get 8,600 Ohms in one coil and infinite resistance (open line) in the other. It's funny because most of the time, particularly at lower RPM's it still runs just fine. Sometimes it's better when a part just fails outright, but these intermittent problems are almost certainly harder to find the root cause of.

Now that I think of it and of your occasional miss, I had a set of brand new spark plugs once that did that to me. Literally fresh from the dealer, I gapped them, installed them and took off from the beach. When accelerating out of the hole, it felt like climbing a ladder where every couple of rungs was broken. Your whole body would jar as your foot went through a rung until it caught the one below it, and eventually it climbed out of the water. It wasn't backfiring, it would just miss two or three times a second. I pulled the lanyard, popped the seat off, took the new plugs out (which looked immaculate) and dropped the old plugs back in - roared out of the hole like it always did before and never missed a beat. That was an eye-opener for me because I had always unconsciously assumed new = good; Not always the case. Maybe try a(nother) different set of plugs?

Cube

How do I go about measuring the coil resistance~?

Quote Originally Posted by ukseadooer View Post
    How do I go about measuring the coil resistance~?
    What I did was measure from the metal part of the high tension port to the ground pin in the three-pin connector. In my case, on one of the coils I had an open line, and on the other coil, there was about 8,600 Ohms resistance there. Interestingly enough, after swapping the MAG and PTO coils, my results were the same. I'm now looking into the fuel system, but I still find that odd about my coils. Did you ever record your idle / max RPM's?

Thread Information