Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stepping up from Ultra 150 to VXS, FXS or FX SHO

I am looking to replace my ultra 150 with a newer ski that will still be fast and fun but can handle rough water and two passengers. I ride on a lake that will tend to get rough at times with 1 foot chop. I rode all three skis yesterday and I am leaning toward the VXS. I was suprised that the VXS felt as fast as the FZS. The FX SHO is nice but felt too bulky for me. How does the VXS do in 1 foot chop? Keep in mind that I am used to a stock ultra 150. Also what types of prices have you seen for a FZS and VXS? In my area I am seeing about 13000 (FZS) and 10000 (VXS) without taxes or trailer.

Any of these 3 Skis will be quite an upgrade from what you are on right now; I remember my Ultra 150. The VXS/R will do better than the Ultra 150 in the conditions you are describing, but not as well as the FZS. Most people today would classify the VXS/R as a smoother water Ski and I would tend to agree with that.

If you can ride that VXS and FZS on your lake in choppier conditions than you did, I think you will have your answer! JB

+1
    VXS does fine. You just have to live with it depending on conditions since there is no trim and its a basic hull. You'll have more bounce then a FZS that is for sure. When I priced it out the VXS ran about $2500ish to $3000ish less then a FZS, early summer/late spring.

If your keeping it stock you'll have decide if the 3000 or so is worth it. If your going to be doing mods I'd go with the FZS as sky is the limit on mods. Also its nice to have the ability that three years down the road you want to inject more fun into your ski the FZS can be turned into a beast for very little money. The VXS with in reason you'll only be able to pull about 72MPHish. Which going from 68 to 72 isn't much of difference, a little better pull also.

+1
    The VXR or S is the same design as the VX line with a bigger engine. I just traded in a VX Deluxe for a FZS. What a difference all around. I mostly river ride. The VX hulls performed well but I did get a rougher ride. Now the FZS much smoother. Slices through waves and wakes. Much more sure footed. Power... OMG!

+1
    If you are used to riding a stock Ultra 150 in that chop, any of the hulls mentioned are going to be WAY more comfortable. The VXS will be more nimble, but will top out at 71-72 MPH with mods. If you know you want to go faster than that, FZ models are the way to go. I personally have a pair of modded 70+ VXS skis and really enjoy them. They actually kind of remind me of my old modded Kawi STXR. They come out of hole surprisingly well, great gas mileage and no super charger clutches to fail.

+1
    Ive logged many hours on Ultra 150s over the years... the VXR/S sounds to be exactly what you are after. You can add and tweek a few things to make it handle 12" chop with ease...

Quote Originally Posted by CougarKiller View Post
    Ive logged many hours on Ultra 150s over the years... the VXR/S sounds to be exactly what you are after. You can add and tweek a few things to make it handle 12" chop with ease...
    I have competing requirments. I like to jump waves and spin the ski around. I think that makes the FX SHO drop off the list. I did like the FZS but I wasn't overly impressed with the power difference compared to the VXS. I wish the VXS had power trim though. I do need a ski that you can ride two adults and a small child on without too much troulbe on short rides. i have a boat for the longer rides. I am not sure about the mods because at the moment I feel that 72 is fast enough.

I am also planning to wait till FY14 models come out just in case. How is the reliability of the FZS to the VXS. I would think the VXS is much less prone to problems and burns much less gas.

+1
    The VXS and FZR both go about 67-68 stock. Minor mods on the VXS can get it to 70-72 without affecting reliability, imo.

The VXR/VXS is bulletproof, imo. On smoother water both skis seem to be really bulletproof. Some people are having supercharger clutch failures when they run hard in the chop on the SC'ed skis, but I think that's less prevalent on stock skis and more on the modded ones. If you keep the FZR stock and/or don't run hard in the chop, I'm betting its a non issue.

You need to a get an aftermarket grate if you do the FZR to be safe as it has a buck issue with the stock ski. The VXS doesn't have the same issue so you can run the stock grate on it, although I've found that using the Riva grate in the chop on the VXS makes it much better. Others like the R&D grate on the VXS as it gives a little more top speed in the smooth water, but less rough water hookup/speed in the chop.

It is just a tough decision because it is so much money. It is too bad I can't just buy both. My first impression told me to buy the VXS but i might lean toward the FZS if i can find a deal. In the northern VA area I don't see any of either used or left over models. I don't want to regret buying the VXS but the supercharged skis make me cautious since I am hard on my skis.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information