1996 seadoo xp x4 carb and air box question

Just bought a 96 xp a couple weeks ago. Starts like a dream runs like a dream but is kinda boggy when hitting the water after a wave and you can smell gas while I'm driving it. I know the carb is dumping too much fuel right now and I was wondering if just removing the top of the air box to get more air would help for now until I can get some after market flame arresters. If not then where is the screw valve that controls the fuel to air ratio on the carb? Thanks

Cody

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    CAll your nearest dealer, I bet the fuel tank neck is cracked where the hose connects to it. Its a recall from SEADOO maybe you can still get it replaced for free because thats what they were doing. call them with the HIN# to see if its been changed already.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    CAll your nearest dealer, I bet the fuel tank neck is cracked where the hose connects to it. Its a recall from SEADOO maybe you can still get it replaced for free because thats what they were doing. call them with the HIN# to see if its been changed already.....
    He's running rich. Not a problem with the gas tank neck.

Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post

Yeah definitely not a gas tank issue

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by leska44 View Post
    Just bought a 96 xp a couple weeks ago. Starts like a dream runs like a dream but is kinda boggy when hitting the water after a wave and you can smell gas while I'm driving it. I know the carb is dumping too much fuel right now and I was wondering if just removing the top of the air box to get more air would help for now until I can get some after market flame arresters. If not then where is the screw valve that controls the fuel to air ratio on the carb? Thanks

Cody
    The bog under full load can be from running lean as well...but, assuming rich, is the choke cable free and BOTH choke springs are opening all the way? the set screw on the cable-shaft can slip and put them out of sync.

If this ski is new to you I would recommend doing a full cleaning/rebuild of the carbs and fuel system.

and for "near same" performance to open flame arrestors for WAY LESS $$ you can "screen" it:
    Open the oem air box and remove the arrestor element (a frame holding two course and 5 or 6 fine screens)
    Carefully pry open the frame and remove all the screens. Replace both course and ONE fine screen. Reassemble the frame and air box.

Carb Jetting:
    Stock – 1.5NS @ 65gram, 142.5 HS (0 turns), 70 LS (1 turns)
    Screened – 1.5NS @ 80gram, 142.5 HS (3/4 turn), 75 LS (1 turn)

Your on the hook for two low speed jets and two 80gram springs (if not included in the rebuild kits).
    -plus you'll have 4 or 5 fine mesh screens to sell to someone making a HUGE bong.

Thanks for the info on the air box I'm going to do that... as far as the bog down issue you've got me worried about it being lean I don't want to blow my motor lol. Only thing that makes me think it's not lean is the fact I can smell gas while the machine is running which is making me think rich and I've noticed my spark plugs keep getting worse. The guy I bought it off of is a mechanic and said he cleaned the carbs but who knows. Don't know much about 2 strokes so trying to avoid rebuilding stuff till this winter and have plenty of time. Are there any diagrams on here to show the carbs and where the valvs are that controls the air to fuel ratio?

Thread Information