Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Are my RPM's about right?

I was out riding yesterday. Only ocean riding here.
    The ski is an 2004 RXP 215, with a newer, black SC. New wear ring has only about 3 or 4 hours of riding. Fuel was 91 octane. Would 93 make much difference on a stock ski?
    I was only able to run 63mph, on GPS, at a max of 7650 rpm.
    I thought rpm's should be closer to 8K, and speed closer to 68-69.

I have read about the 04' RXP's requiring a knock sensor harness pigtail. Could this be what is holding my ski back in rpm and speed? What do you guys think? I did look around for Sea Doo part number 278002050, but was unable to find it available anywhere.

Any ideas? Hulk?? I'd really like to get the ski running right, in stock form, before considering mods.

Thanks!

Julian

+1
    I'm not sure about the knock sensor issue, but I do know sea water is more dense. More power is needed for the pump to process the 'thicker' water, which causes an rpm loss and a speed loss.
    Check your sc slip too, as it may need adjusting after riding in ocean-conditions.
    Good luck!

+1
    IF you do not have the new harness then yes this could be an issue as the Knock sensor update consisted of a Computer flash/update and the little 4 inch harness...Verify first if you indeed have the harness in line and if not then i would get this taken care of first....

+1

Cool

Is your oil level right??
    1/2 way between the 2 bends when hot??
    Over full oil can cost you rpms.
    Also heat soak. When its hot skis loose rpms..
    Do the easy stuff 1st.
    Plugs and fuel Injector cleaner.

+1 Also what sno says..

Small update. The ski does have the knock sensor pigtail. I'll check the oil level and probably replace plugs and report back. wotxxxsd, any particular injector cleaner and process you recommend?

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Lucas fuel system cleaner is the only product I use. I've noticed a difference in two of my ski's after running a bottle through.

Quote Originally Posted by JulianC View Post
    Fuel was 91 octane. Would 93 make much difference on a stock ski?

I'd really like to get the ski running right, in stock form, before considering mods.

Julian
    Yea, those RPMs suck. Don't blame all of it on the heat - something is outta whack (I ride in 110-115 heat sometimes....). Yes, RPMs should be in the 8k's.

I've cut my 91 with 100 octane before, and I had to "look" hard for any difference. I only noticed a *slight* more torque pulling through hard, wide turns.

Yes, fix the root problem before modding further, or you'll get yourself out in left field.

EDIT: I wouldn't hold my breath on the fuel cleaner yet...considering those low RPMs.

Very interested on what you find out!! i have the same problem!

Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JulianC View Post
    Fuel was 91 octane. Would 93 make much difference on a stock ski?

I'd really like to get the ski running right, in stock form, before considering mods.

Julian
    Yea, those RPMs suck. Don't blame all of it on the heat - something is outta whack (I ride in 110-115 heat sometimes....). Yes, RPMs should be in the 8k's.

I've cut my 91 with 100 octane before, and I had to "look" hard for any difference. I only noticed a *slight* more torque pulling through hard, wide turns.

Yes, fix the root problem before modding further, or you'll get yourself out in left field.

EDIT: I wouldn't hold my breath on the fuel cleaner yet...considering those low RPMs.

My 04 stock RXP was on the lake 1 week ago running dash readings of 68-70mph at 7750-7850rpm. Water temp was ~80-85F and it was around 85 air temp. I was running right along side (1mph slower) my friends rxt255. Soooooo Just the other day I went out again and it was a much hotter day ~95F and the water temp was around 86-88F. I was not able to really go above 7200-7400rpm. At one point I spiked up to 7650rpm but was not able to achieve that again.
    What could it be? - I have new plugs in as of last fall (<10 hours on them) , the SC washers were replaced last summer and it has been been running great since... I just checked the super charger and I was able to get a tad bit of wobble on it and turn it a 1/2" and then it was too tight to turn..thats ok right? my coolant was just below max cold , so i just topped it off now to midway max and min cold, my prop and wear ring are in decent shape.

Also to note...I had <1/2 tank when I ran 7850rpm and then refilled last week with 91+octane and now as I said have a 400rpm loss. I just checked my oil and somehow it gained oil - its 1/4 " over the bend. So I just removed ~450ml and its midway bend point (cold but level). I changed my oil about 4 weeks ago and checked and it seemed to be midway on the bend, why would it be 1/4" over now?

Also cana stock intercooler be clogged or dirty? Any tips on how to clean it if so? 160hours of unknown use has me thinking.... It is just weird how I was running 70 dash speed one week and then lost 400 rpm the next week and could barely hit 60-62 dash speed...????
    I am heading out tomorrow to ride (now with 450ml less oil) and it should be 10-15F cooler air temp ----crossing my fingers! But any recommendations and tips are more than welcome!

Hey, COBRA445, how did your ride go? I hope your rpm's and speed are back. Any update?

I haven't been able to ride so no update yet for mine...

JCG

+1
    Weird, having the same issue... I think it's water and air temp... I also checked my oil before this issue append... I'm flush with the top bar...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information