Help with my GSX LTD

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums here. I recently picked up a 1999 GSX LTD for $300 bucks (It had been sitting a few years.) After taking it into my local shop they said the one cylinder was good but the other had poor compression and rust on the piston. Because it has been sitting for so long they suggested a new engine versus a top end kit incase more things are just waiting to go wrong. I'd obviously like to have this ski for years to come, do you think a SBT motor is the way to go?

Thanks,

-Dan

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Some like them some don't. Personally I have not had good luck with them. If you plan on riding as is I would bet you would be ok. If you plan on modding it in any way I would steer clear and build it out.

Okay great! Maybe i'll just pop a battery in it and see how it does. Thanks for your help.

SBT or self-build, you can still tear the motor down completely and see what's going on. The high-stress performance parts for these old skis have become nearly impossible to find and they're $$$ when you do. If it's a rec ski, go with a good jet kit, open FAs, prop, and dry out (jet) the stock pipe. An SBT motor will work just fine with those simple mods. I must mention though that the last two SBT 787s I bought arrived with 5lbs less compression than OEM rotax 787s. That isn't enough to make a difference in performance though.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuminaZX View Post
    SBT or self-build, you can still tear the motor down completely and see what's going on. The high-stress performance parts for these old skis have become nearly impossible to find and they're $$$ when you do. If it's a rec ski, go with a good jet kit, open FAs, prop, and dry out (jet) the stock pipe. An SBT motor will work just fine with those simple mods. I must mention though that the last two SBT 787s I bought arrived with 5lbs less compression than OEM rotax 787s. That isn't enough to make a difference in performance though.
    I think i might try to sell the core / part out the ski (I travel a lot for work and would like to have something water ready). Im located in Michigan if anyone is looking for parts / trailer.

Thread Information