can any one trouble shoot instead of just throwing parts at it?

2008 sea doo speedster jet boat 150 with single 155 hp motor. It has only 65 hrs. when you try to start it, you get one beep then the dash lights go through their cycle, and then 4 beeps with code 1656 check engine. I looked up the code and it said the dess was grounded I was told to jump the black and black striped wire together on the dess plug and see if it will start. There was no change so I removed the jumper. I checked all of the fuses and they were good, I took a power tester and hooked it to the battery ground and touched the probe to the positive battery side of the solenoid and the light lit up , I touched it to the starter side and it did not light. ( so all is good so far ) I then put the tester on the positive battery terminal and probed the solenoid on the battery side and it did not light, so far so good, when I touched the starter side of the terminal it lit up, so I disconnected the starter cable from the solenoid and probed the solenoid on the starter side and it did not light, when I probed the starter cable from the starter the light lit ( I was still connected to the neg post with the electrical probe) so is this a back feed some place in the starting system? I touched the starter cable to the battery side of the solenoid( basically by passing the solenoid ) and it cranked over but did not start. now I am at a loss, do I have a starter problem, a dess problem or is the solenoid not working . I have been told to change all three, but the postitve power from the starter cable has stumped me , some one help me understand

+1
    I would think its the Key or DESS post.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    with a single beep:

the dess magnetic switch recognizes a Seadoo key

the ecu does not recognize THE authorized key

uhh..take a look INSIDE the key to be sure the metal bridge is not damaged

I'd venture to say that the issue here is that the key chip is not being read by the ecu.

But on the surface the post looks good ( so far)

new dess post, remover neutral safty switch , cleaned it with spray cleaner , new starter solenoid, boat has been starting fine in drive way for two weeks . I put it in water and drove it fine at 25 to 30 mph stopped at the marina to use bathroom, when we came back to the boat it would not start for 1.5 hours , error code 1656 , could this be a cooling issue? it has done this twice to us.

+1
    With a new DESS post I'm guess you have a bad key. Do you have another key to use? Do you try putting the key on and off to you get it to give you the two beeps?

hundreds of times , it always starts if you let it set, does not matter if you run it 10 seconds or for an hour, will not start twice, it can not be the key, if it starts days later p1565 code?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by john1923t View Post
    hundreds of times , it always starts if you let it set, does not matter if you run it 10 seconds or for an hour, will not start twice, it can not be the key, if it starts days later p1565 code?
    code 1656 NOT 1565--an I'm the one with dyselexia here> is indicating a dess communication problem, since you've eliminated a rare but possible short internal to the dess post itself then the issue has to be the wiring between the post and the mpem...you'll want to check for high resistance there. The signal line ( the one used to rad to keycode has high resistance or opens and this causes a misread of the code..the code is so garabeled that the mpem reports it as a communication issue

for a good diagnostic, can you please be very specific about the "no start" you get after the boat has been running for a bit.

is it no key recognition<double beep> , no cranking, or no engine start after cranking?

I postulate that since the boat started 20 times in the driveway but failed on the water you have an issue at the connector to the mpem in the engine bay where higher humidity when the engine is running is just enough to be an issue.

test that theory by leaving the bilge blower ON the entire time you are running the boat..that won't hurt anything and perhaps the extra air will keep the connection from crapping out.

Thread Information