Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Normal Operating Temp 95 SL750 Stock?

Guys, just got the ski running and it runs great. Seemed to be getting hot so I installed a mechanical temp gauge in the cooling rail. I removed Tstat but am still running at 220. Is this to hot? Possible causes? I flushed and backflushed all lines. I suspect a bad seal where the water pipe connects I had to use silicone because alignment looked bad. Was thinking about cranking on ramp with hose just beloe tstat removed just to make sure im getting good flow. Thanxs in advance!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Normal thermostat opening temperature is circa 143F. Normal engine operation you can place your hand on any surface for several seconds without buring skin.

220F is WAY too hot. I suspect you do not have proper water flow. Investigate.

thanks

was headed to the ramp to test was gonna leave tstat exit hose off and check for flow im suspecting the water pipe connection may be the culprit but was going to test first. Does the spring loaded pop off in the tstat housing need to be installed or can i remove it and expect to see flow? much appreciated

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVER BOY View Post
    was headed to the ramp to test was gonna leave tstat exit hose off and check for flow im suspecting the water pipe connection may be the culprit but was going to test first. Does the spring loaded pop off in the tstat housing need to be installed or can i remove it and expect to see flow? much appreciated
    With either the thermostat OR the bypass plunger valve removed you will have almost unrestricted flow through the thermostat housing.

Water flow should be significant even at idle RPM in the water, and rise in response to throttle.

Has the engine been worked on recently?

not engine, its an sbt with few hours, always performed well. Sucked up a rock or something and bent impeller but had to shave some on the o.d. Took a lot of time but I have a straight prop that propells quickly, no vibration plenty of speed, since tolerances are so close im scared I shaved to much so the pickup isnt getting enough feed. Test is shot for tonight just got a down pour. Was going to connect again to the pump inlet with water hose but last time I never could get above 130 which is what my mechanical gauge starts at.

+1
    Best check is at the launch ramp, with hull fully strapped down to the trailer. Then you can run it with the seat off and jet pump inlet fully submerged. You can even apply throttle. Make sure there are no loose rocks or debris underneath the hull

Use your hand (carefully) for temperature checks. If you cannot touch something, it is too hot.

THANKS 447 Will do. Any ideas on the pickup since im staying cool and getting good flow with water connected simulating pump input. Would bad alignment or a leak cause the water pump inlet not to put out enough? I know where we are headed just wanted an educated guess before I start tearing down again. Again greatly appreciated. Green Hulk has been great even though I just lurk and really have no input.

At ramp half flow at idle full flow at rpm.

Banned User
    +1
    Did you ever disassemble the thermostat/popoff valve in the water rail and check for proper operation. I bet the popoff valve isnt working properly.

Yes, tstat was corroded as well as the back pressure valve. Threw the tstat away and cleaned the back pressure valve and reinstalled before the boat ramp test.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information