Thread: sl-780 1996

sl-780 1996

Hello, my name is Zach and im new to the jet ski world. I recently bought a 1996 polaris sl-780. It runs great and is in great shape. I do have a few queastions....first my mfd was not works nor was the quick trim. So i replaced the fuse and they both work now. But my queastion is is there a way to fix the gas tank reading? It reads full all the time. Second as of yesterday when riding if i hit a wave the ski would stall out so i opened the seat and played with the spark plug wires and it seemed to work fine. Would anything else be causing this to happen? Thanks guys Zach

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Take some time to read through my signature links for your blue Fuji engined watercraft. There is info on trimming the spark plug wires to restore a good connection.

There is no fuse for the Quick Trim, but the trim does not normally work unless the engine is running. The MFD requires a 1/4 Amp fuse, no higher.

Gas tank always reading full? Check the fuel tank sender wires for shorts or damage. An ohm meter will tell you if the fuel sender is just reading very full (33 ohms) or there is a short somewhere (near zero ohms).

Okay thanks for the help. I was looking at the gas tank and there were a few wires taped up, when i get home im gonna look at it a little closer may be theres a bad connection. As for the quick trim it wasnt moving then once i put the fuse in for the mfd it was a noticable move. I am thinking about redoing the gas and oil lines, im not sure if they have ever been replaced, is this a hard job? I just ordered the service manual. Thanks agian ! Zach

okay i was finally able to get time to look into the tayped wireing by the sending unit for the gas tank. And the popel i bought it from have the lines jumped togther. When i un connected them the jet skis red light started flashing on the mfd. Putting it into limp mode...would this be the floating device inside the tank causeing this to do that?

+1
    Most likely a bad float or defective sender. The floats can stop floating, and can be bought new / replaced. If the sender reads low or zero, it will send the ski into limp mode. All of this information, and more, can be found in K447s signature links.....

Thread Information