Need Help verifying my Stator is Good

I have a 2001 Polaris Virage TX. I went to un winterize it and it would not start. I have been checking a lot of things. Currently I am checking the Hall Effect Sensors and I have the Stator Cover off. I am getting some funky readings and was wondering if someone could help me out. I do not want to put the cover back on until I know the stator is good. Readings are below along with Manual Specs. Sorry for all the info but I do get pretty Detailed. I did get a little confused reading some of the threads on this.

The Manual does not really specify where to hook up the positive and negative leads from the meter. They Just have a picture. Results do vary depending how you hook them up. I tested both ways. Seams when you hook the Negative Meter lead to the gray wire and the positive meter lead to the testing wires the results are Closer to what the manual says it should be. But after reading some of these Threads it seams Positive meter wire to Gray wire and Negative meter wire to testing wire is the correct hook up and the results are not close to the Manual. Also I did do these check over three times to verify. So I need some help. Thanks.

Hall Sensor Specs: Open until Magnet Pass then Sharp Drop to 25 Omhs.

Mag Sensor Actual (Red Wire)

With Meter Negative on Red Wire and Meter Positive on Gray Wire (How the Manual Picture Shows the Hook Up)

When Meter Connect 282.6k Ohms, Start Rotation
    Magnet Enters, Drop to 102.7 Ohms.
    Magnet Passes, Up to 612.8 Ohms.

The 102.7 Ohms to 612.8 Ohms Repeats on every rotation. But when I disconnect the Meter and Reconnect then it will go back to the Ohms When I first Connected.

With Meter Negative on Gray Wire and Meter Positive on Red Wire

When Meter Connect Open, Start Rotation
    Magnet Enters, Drop to 107.5 Ohms.
    Magnet Passes: Back to Open.
    This Repeats with Every Rotation.

Center Sensor Actual (Blue Wire)

With Meter Negative on Blue Wire and Meter Positive on Gray Wire (How the Manual Picture Shows the Hook Up)

When Meter Connect 276.4k Ohms, Start Rotation
    Magnet Enters, Drop to 101.1 Ohms.
    Magnet Passes, Up to 606.9 Ohms.

The 101.1 Ohms to 606.9 Ohms Repeats on every rotation. But when I disconnect the Meter and Reconnect then it will go back to the Ohms When I first Connected.

With Meter Negative on Gray Wire and Meter Positive on Blue Wire

Magnet Enters, Drop to 108.1 Ohms.

PTO Sensor Actual (Green Wire)

With Meter Negative on Green Wire and Meter Positive on Gray Wire (How the Manual Picture Shows the Hook Up)

When Meter Connect 281.8k Ohms, Start Rotation
    Magnet Enters, Drop to 104.7 Ohms.
    Magnet Passes, Up to 616 Ohms.

The 104.8 Ohms to 616 Ohms Repeats on every rotation. But when I disconnect the Meter and Reconnect then it will go back to the Ohms When I first Connected.

With Meter Negative on Gray Wire and Meter Positive on Green Wire

Magnet Enters, Drop to 108.1 Ohms.

Notes: Tests both ways were also done at the electrical Box Though the Stator Connector. The Results were the same.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Did you have a 9v battery hooked up as well per the diagram?

Yes, I had a 9v battery hooked up per diagram.

Did you disconnect all the wires from the CDI?

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Black lead should hooked to the gray and the positive to the sensor output you are testing.

The results of the tests (2nd, 4th and 6th above) show that it is ok in my opinion. I know the book is looking for a lower reading but I have tested a working stator and achieved the results that are simmilar. Could be several factors that are causing the higher readings, but they are consistant.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    This is the diagram I have for Hall Effect sensor testing, from this diagnostic thread;

Note that some multi-meters have the voltage on the probes reversed during ohms testing. Red meter probe can have negative voltage while in ohmmeter mode.

Yes I did have the CDI Unhooked. I did the test From the Stator Plug and from the inside of the electrical box with the CDI wires disconnected. The Results were the same. I guess the question I have it almost looks like the sensors have reversed their polarity. Is that possible? Hall Effect Sensors are new to me so I am asking. I am going to try the testing again. It is just weird to me that when I hook up according to the manual the test are not even close.

K447 With that said based on my readings above what is your position on the health of my stator? Also how can one know which meters do this and which do not? I have a Fluke 77 IV and I can not find anything on leads reversing voltage while testing Ohms. I do have a digital meter would an analog work better? I would like to thanks everyone for the help.

Thread Information