Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dealer couldn't even get my impeller off please help

I've got a 1997 gp 760. I tried and tried to get the impeller off but had no luck. I broke 2 impeller tools trying. I'm aware that its reverse thread so that's not it. I decided Id just take the it to the dealer and let them do it. This is a well known dealer that has been around a long time and knows their stuff. They said they tried everything and couldn't get it off. I took it back to my shop and tried cutting the impeller open to access the the thread collar. I heated the collar and this thing won't budge. I'm out of ideas. There's an old Solas impeller on there know. Any tips or tricks? Do I have to pick up a new drive shaft?

+1
    big vise, big crescent, with big cheater pipe... and snatch it, dont just pull on it

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    big vise, big crescent, with big cheater pipe... and snatch it, dont just pull on it
    Like WFO said, big vice, big wrench on the solas prop tool, and a 5-6 foot cheater pipe. I just lay into it slowly until it goes POP!! But it sounds like you're in cutting it off mode now, no going back.

If you're REALLY careful in cutting off the remainder of the prop you may be able to salvage the shaft. But be careful and don't cut too deep.

I had a similar situation a few years back. I feel for ya.

I tried that. A total of 4 Solas impeller tools were broken. 2 by me and 2 by the dealer. I'm gonna give it another shot tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by showmepro1200 View Post
    Like WFO said, big vice, big wrench on the solas prop tool, and a 5-6 foot cheater pipe. I just lay into it slowly until it goes POP!! But it sounds like you're in cutting it off mode now, no going back.

If you're REALLY careful in cutting off the remainder of the prop you may be able to salvage the shaft. But be careful and don't cut too deep.

I had a similar situation a few years back. I feel for ya.

Wow a 5 foot cheater bar, thats serious! Yeah I'm in deep now. I've been cutting slowly to not damage the threads. I see a few shafts on eBay I may just pick one up and try again. One of the shafts on eBay has the stock impeller on it. Are they easier to get off being the a wrench can fit on the end of the prop. Also is a gp 800 jump the same as a 760?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    I tried that. A total of 4 Solas impeller tools were broken. 2 by me and 2 by the dealer. I'm gonna give it another shot tomorrow.
    So you still have tool ability apparently. Yeah the little nubs on the solas prop tools suck bigtime, not much torque resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by showmepro1200 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    So you still have tool ability apparently. Yeah the little nubs on the solas prop tools suck bigtime, not much torque resistance.
    No more tool ability. Once I started cutting that ended that. Plus I don't wanna buy anymore tools.

+1
    When I have a tool break off, and the impeller is damaged anyways, I'll slide the broken tool into the end of the impeller, and use a 3' chain wrench to grab the end of the impeller (the tool keeps it from pinching and flattening the impeller nose)

When I have a tool break off, and the impeller is damaged anyways, I'll slide the broken tool into the end of the impeller, and use a 3' chain wrench to grab the end of the impeller (the tool keeps it from pinching and flattening the impeller nose)

Thanks that's a good idea. I'm gonna give that a shot.

+1
    Yeah WFO has a good method there. And to answer your question, yes (in my experience) the stock prop has always been a fairly easy removal - still goes POP the first time though

Use the long bar - you'll probably get it. Can't believe a dealer can't do it but they didn't want to destroy your prop either.

Make sure youre getting the right length driveshaft if youre going the fleabay way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information