+1

New to MSX, not greenhulk

Hello,

Just bought an msx 150 for the wife. So far I love it. Very smooth and sounds good. Paid 3200 for it with 40 something hours, came with a lift and a cover. Does that sound reasonable?

What are the must do mods? Not looking for anything too radical as the wife will be the one riding it.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Banned User
    +1
    Must do mods???? How about a 4-tec? The ECU reflashes and turbo upgrades seem to be the best mods. The MSX sure is a sweet ride.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Must do mods???? How about a 4-tec? The ECU reflashes and turbo upgrades seem to be the best mods. The MSX sure is a sweet ride.
    ECU reflash package from Precision is an excellent starting point. Martin knows this engine and his reprogramming improves engine longevity, power AND fuel economy. Nice combination

The upgraded oil tank is a much better design than the original, greatly reduces the risk of oil contamination of the air intake tract. Get it from Randy at www.WeberPower.com

Be sure to read up on lubrication of the wastegate lever shaft.

And make very sure you understand what the correct oil level is and how to measure it. Frequent oil changes are a must, especially if you run the stock ECU which dilutes the oil with excess gasoline blow by.

Lots more info via my signature links and in the MSX and Tech sections on here.

+1
    Thanks guys.. I really appreciate it

Banned User
    +1
    He had an 07 Ultra. Im sure he knows all about gas in oil.............I am pretty sure the early Ultras had that problem.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Best mod is to throw a 1200 Carb'd hot motor in it.....LOL but that's just my opinion......

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Best mod is to throw a 1200 Carb'd hot motor in it.....LOL but that's just my opinion......

I wonder why?????

+1
    Precision Sports ECU reflash is a great upgrade. Works with stock turbo and impeller. Gives more boost, more RPMs (removes soft limiter) and better fueling maps. If you have the stock Nicasil plated cylinders, this is important as the original fuel maps that Polaris used were very rich and tended to wash down the cylinder walls and accelerate Nicasil plating failure... which is sadly a very common issue with the MSX 110 and 150.

Upgraded oil tank with rollover tank is a good investment too. Weighs less, better design, no hole in the oil separator cyclone that's an open path into the oil system. And the rollover tank can help prevent oil ingestion... another common problem. Available at WeberPower.

160 degree T-stat... direct drop-in... helps lower under seat temps and a cooler engine helps fight off knock. Available at WeberPower.

With a stock engine... be very careful of overheating. The plastic waterpump drive gear is known to fail and then the waterpump stops circulating coolant and the engine overheats in short order. Be very mindful of the overheat warning indicators. The open deck, all aluminum block of the Weber is prone to warping if it gets too hot. If you ever need to rebuild the engine... consider upgrading the 3 waterpump gears to Polaris FST versions (all metal)... but can't do just one... gotta replace all three (one being the counter-balance shaft) due to different gear teeth.

See if you have the new style wastegate solenoid (gray in color attached to bracket off the valve cover bolts above turbo-manifold.) If you have the older style black one that bolts to the side of the turbo intake scroll... consider replacing it with the upgrade kit. Those old ones are prone to failing. Available at WeberPower.

Run only Mobil 1 (or Polaris brand) 15w-50 full synthetic. Polaris says 25 hour change intervals.

$3200 with a lift (trailer?) is a reasonable price in my area. But knowing what I know... I wouldn't buy a stock one for that much. Too easy to find a broken one with bad compression (usually Nicasil failure) and drop a minimum of $1500 into it to get it fixed and upgraded better than stock.

Hope it serves you well. Cheers!

Just a side note on the Polaris brand oil. If you plan on using, make sure you buy the MARINE GRADE PS-4. The plain PS-4 that they use in ATVs and snowmobiles is not good for this engine.

I just stick with the Mobil 1 15W-50 as Wally World seems to have it in stock in most stores in a 5 quart jug for around $26.

Thread Information