Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Polaris virage 1200 losing power.

I just bought a 2002 Polaris 1200 . I believe its a txi. It is a three cylinder injected model. It will start and idle great and run on the water for up to 20 or 30 minutes with no problem (long enough for a test ride unfortunately) then it loses power, seems to be starving for fuel. If I shut it down for a few minutes it runs good for a few more minutes then back to bad. No lights or warning buzzers go off but I honestly don't even know if they work since the same guy who sold it to me said it was perfect and everything worked. He has disappeared off the face of the earth now. Any help would be great.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Do take some time to read through my signature links.

Another member recently posted a similar situation.

The TPS Throttle Position Sensor may be failing when it warms up. Replacement is a common requirement, and a spare is always good to have on hand anyways.

While you are waiting for the new TPS to arrive, make sure the EMM control module is getting proper water cooling flow. If it overheats then weird symptoms can happen.

OK

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Do take some time to read through my signature links.

Another member recently posted a similar situation.

The TPS Throttle Position Sensor may be failing when it warms up. Replacement is a common requirement, and a spare is always good to have on hand anyways.

While you are waiting for the new TPS to arrive, make sure the EMM control module is getting proper water cooling flow. If it overheats then weird symptoms can happen.
    sounds good. Two questions. If the engine were overheating wouldn't it show a fault on the display? And does it have a similar fault display for the emm overheating? Thank you . And thank you for replying so fast to my earlier question.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    1. Yes
    2. IF everything is working as it should, the display will show an overheating message for the engine overheating and "Check Engine" for the EMM overheating.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostinstallations View Post
    1. Yes
    2. IF everything is working as it should, the display will show an overheating message for the engine overheating and "Check Engine" for the EMM overheating.
    Sometimes the temperature sensor itself gets cooked and no longer provides a correct temperature signal to the EMM. Perhaps during the very first overheat event the display might have shown the correct warning (which the rider may or may not have even noticed).

Often enough by the time the owner is talking to us on here it seems that the EMM does not necessarily provide a display warning and simply continues to cook itself. I suspect the EMM is programmed to ignore temp sensor readings that are too far 'out of bounds', so a damaged temp sensor might not trigger a warning.

If memory serves, the actual warning message for excessive engine exhaust sensor temperature is the word HOT on the display, along with a red flashing lamp.

Ok ill do some more checks. I blew out all the coolant lines to the EMM and even ran it with the hose off just to make sure it was pushing water through. Cleaned the screen on the coolant intake checked the thermostat and coolant pop off for obstruction. I thought it was going into S.L.O.W. mode but realized today that I can run it around 5000 rpm even when it seems to be having trouble. I'm leaning toward your TPS idea and am really hopefull. Just seems weird it takes about ten minutes before it starts acting up like maybe when it gets warm . Thanks again for all your help.

could the air temp sensor have anything to do with this problem?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlwilkie View Post
    could the air temp sensor have anything to do with this problem?
    I do not think the air temp sensor is causing this problem.

Does not hurt to check it. Look for the correct ohms measurement. If the air temp sensor has been badly cut by the flame arrestor cover, then you may want to replace it rather than simply applying a small dob of sealant.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlwilkie View Post
    ... I'm leaning toward your TPS idea and am really hopefull. Just seems weird it takes about ten minutes before it starts acting up like maybe when it gets warm . Thanks again for all your help.
    To me, the likely causes are either (or both) the TPS needing replacement or the EMM needing repair.

ok I pulled the codes using your homemade code reader( Thanks for that) and got 17 alt low voltage/43 coolant temp high/12 TPS malfunction. Made me pretty happy cause I checked the ETS and it seems to be working even jumpered it while running to see if I could get a code to come up and the instrument warning worked. Unfortunately when I try to clear the codes it doesn't work at all. The TPS jumper method ; when I disconnect the jumper it continues to read codes for a few seconds to quite a few seconds depending on its mood. Eventually though it stops but the led never comes on fully till I first touch the jumper then it comes on and stays on no matter what I do such as unhooking it after one second or repeating for 5 times. the TPS method unhooked from engine is even worse it takes a while to stop reading codes when fully relaxed position then may turn on the led when fully on position but once it comes on it definitely stays on till the lanyard is removed. Is this common or is my EMM probably having issues as well as my TPS probably.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information