Question What oil to run?

Hey guys, im new here and im just wondering what oil you run? Im 17 and struggle on the whole yamalube price... I have a 2000 gp1200r i bought with my own money and I love it and all but between gas and oil, im not sure I can afford yamalube. I've read about amsoil interceptor but thats synthetic and yamalube isnt. What about Sierra which is what my trusted marina carries. Should I run synthetic or non synthetic? It doesnt change the rate i go through it correct? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Laxified View Post
    Hey guys, im new here and im just wondering what oil you run? Im 17 and struggle on the whole yamalube price... I have a 2000 gp1200r i bought with my own money and I love it and all but between gas and oil, im not sure I can afford yamalube. I've read about amsoil interceptor but thats synthetic and yamalube isnt. What about Sierra which is what my trusted marina carries. Should I run synthetic or non synthetic? It doesnt change the rate i go through it correct? Thanks!
    I like Amsoil. Make sure you get a lube that is compatible with your setup - ie if you have powervalves and if you are premixing (prefered) or oil injection. Amsoil Interceptor or Dominator is what I use. CUrrently using Dominator because my dealer was out of Interceptor.

I've heard Klotz makes a great oil but its more $ than Amsoil.

Im all stock. I havnt had the money to mod yet lol. It all went to my jeep and sled. What about amsoil marine. A store told me if i can run yamalube that I should run the marine amsoil. But I live on a island in the summer and most marina still recommend sierra and dont carry amsoil.

+1
    Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this one.... Some people use the expensive stuff, some use the cheapest you can find. Both work.
    Do a search and see how many times this same question has been asked. You may gather some good ideas from the replies on what to use, but it really is up to you.
    Congrats on the new ski!

So if i go cheap or expensive I still have to choose synthetic or non synthetic. Whats the difference?

The biggest issue is how much your power valves get clogged up

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kmc View Post
    The biggest issue is how much your power valves get clogged up
    Bingo, that's the decision maker for me.
    We installed wave-eater clips on a couple of our friends ski's last summer. Both yamahas with the 1200 power valve motors. Both had right at a hundred hours on them.
    The one that was using Yamalube was so caked up that it was completely full to the top of the cover over the power-valve. The other one used Klotz and it was clean.

We have 2 power-valve GPR's ourselves and use the Amsoil Interceptor.
    Like was said, this subject could go on for infinity.

okay but can someone please explain synthectic vs non to me? Pros and cons?

+1
    Keeping the pv's clean is your goal and good lubrication/protection/performance will come from the Amsoil products..never skimp on getting the good stuff to protect your ski imo. Take care of the ski, she will take care of you...she may even text you hearts and kisses if you treat her right. If she had a cell phone that is.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxified View Post
    I've read about amsoil interceptor but thats synthetic and yamalube isnt.
    Amsoil is a full synthetic, Yamalube is a semisynthetic. The synthetics are ashless and burn very clean. Yamalube does not burn quite as clean and so with time will clog power valves. Regular (marine) two stroke oil has lots of parafins and burn dirty. Not only will it clog PV's, it will plug your catalytic converter and you will loose power.

If you replace your catalytic converter with a "D" plate, then you can use the cheaper oils. Just expect to have to clean your power valves a little more often and see more smoke bellowing out of your boat.

Thread Information